Forums Latest Members
  1. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 17, 2013

Dear all,

Although I am not a frequent contributor of this forum, I am pleased to announce a new book to be published in a few months, as a result of several years of research from my colleague and myself. We have launched a dedicated website, which currently only details a few points of the book, but will provide additional information in the future:

http://www.moonwatchonly.com

In addition to our innovative methodology to detail and classify the constituent parts, this book will provide very in-depth information about this legendary model. In particular, it will release information that has never been published before, clearing up some obscure topics around the Moonwatch.

We will be present at BaselWorld from 25th to 27th of April at the official bookstore Watchprint.
    Do not hesitate to write us if you have any questions: [email protected]

Best regards,
    Greg

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Greg, that looks like it is going to settle quite a few internet arguments ;)

Thanks for letting us know about it :thumbsup:

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 17, 2013

congratulations, that's a huge accomplishment, how many years did it take to write and collate?

4. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 17, 2013

We started writing it about 18 months ago, but data collection started much earlier.

5. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 17, 2013

It might in some cases, but it is impossible to validate everything, because Omega archives simply do not contain all pieces of information crazy collectors request. For this reason, it is an open, unfinished book, letting space to uncertainties.

Hijak likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

I see you know your market

citizenrich and SpikiSpikester like this.
  7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Greg, I'm interested to know how you distinguish your book from Isnardi's "The Master of Omega".

If you don't mind me asking, what would you say your book gives a collector that Isnardi's book dooesn't have ?

8. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 17, 2013

A ton of things, part of them explained on our website (methodology)

Our philosphy
    the book is really aimed at guiding the collectors so that he will be able to distinguish original from fake or replaced parts on vintage Speedmasters.

Our methodology
    As an example, let's imagine you have a 145.012. All 145.012 are supposed to have a dial with "spaced T" around Swiss Made. Most people call it a "dial from ST 145.012". However, most of 105.012-66 have the same dial, as well as all 145.022-68 (with different feet). For this reason, we built a classification of these parts independently of the models. We have identified, detailed and classified 10 constituent elements, leading to a total of about 250 individual sheets. This classification is used in the individual sheets of each model.

A systematic and rigorous approach
    For years, we have collected data (from many sources) and recorded them by serial number into a database. Each entry comprises, when possible, the type of constituent parts. This allows a very good overview and to easily detect "suspect" examples. In our opinion, this is the only way to have an almost complete view of the production and "read" how history happened, when a new part or a new reference was introduced, etc.

Completeness
    We will describe ALL (to our knowledge) Speedmaster "Moonwatch" (extended to parents up to 1957, sons and cousins such as moonphases, sapphire casebacks and special + limited editions). Most of them will be illustrated with our own pictures. Isnardi details only a sample of the production (although important ones)

Level of information
    In contrary to MOS, there will be not only images, but a lot of explanations

- Furthermore, there will be a unique identification tree, aiming at identifying classic Moonwatch models, just with a visual examination
    - there will be summary tables
    - and more...

DanOmega, epl108, cozzani1978 and 7 others like this.
  9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for such a full answer - it looks like I will have to order one :thumbsup:

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Im in for one! Omega Forum group buy?

tpatta likes this.
  11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Looks like a comprehensive work on the speedmaster and will definitely purchase a copy.

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Whats UK price please? OR USA price as i live in both.

13. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 17, 2013

Don't know yet, but you can estimate from the price in Euros (195 till end of August, then 225). But for USA, shipping charges will be added. It is more a question of our publisher watchprint.

14. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 17, 2013

i like the group buy idea :)

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Oh, sure, and then we'll argue on who gets it this week, etc...

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Very simple, all books get mailed to a moderator in a central US location, then get redistributed in a fair and equitable manner , based on the amount of medical training. :D

Modest_Proposal and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Most equitable method of distribution I have ever heard ;)

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Very nice, the price is fairly decent by watch book publishing standards too, think I'll definitely be needing one

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

Group buy I think he meant volume purchase discount, rather than a book shared around ;)

Running a FS forum is hard enough, being an international librarian would be a nightmare lol

Frunkinator likes this.
  20. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 17, 2013

but a bulk purchase might warrant a discount???

Frunkinator likes this.