Forums Latest Members
  1. Varasc Jul 8, 2014

...I mean, your potential watch choice?

http://www.mars-one.com/

Image to be one of the selected astronauts, knowing that this dangerous attempt to settle on Mars would not allow you to come back to Earth so soon - no planned rescue missions, no homebound flights. In such an extreme environment, would you entrust quartz or mechanical watches? :)

Marco

2. Varasc Jul 9, 2014

Ok, no-one ever dreamed landing (or mars-landing) on the Red Planet. :-(

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2014

They don't even have ADSL there dude, you'd have to wait 13 minutes between pageloads on omegaforums.

4. Varasc Jul 9, 2014

That would be quite annoying.

5. speedbird Jul 9, 2014

The problem with going to mars isn't getting there. That's the easy part. The huge elephant in the room is the fact that the soil on mars contains hexavalent chromium and other nasty cancer-causing compounds...in massive proportions. Going outside would be impossible without decontamination showers prior to re-entering the ship or habitat or whatever. Ever small particle must be eliminated. This is a problem that'll require some clever engineering

6. Varasc Jul 9, 2014

I think they would surely engineer suitable EVA suits... The only problem I see, is the lack of a return flight. Their program's advertisements are addressed to pioneers and explorers, also citing the Vikings and other sea-farer cultures. But in this way they would not attract the best scientists, astronauts etc - only dissatisfied people, wishing to leave Earth and to print their footsteps on the sand of history.

I'd be rather intrigued to go but I'd also like to come back home.. Me, and my Omega. :)

7. Siac Jul 10, 2014

What a load of old tosh that website is... looks nice and all that, but really!? The team is hardly a roster of the world's finest space experts, it's nearly as bad as the "largest boat in the world" tat that was after funding for years. (rant over)

8. Siac Jul 10, 2014

9. speedbird Jul 10, 2014

Well, it's more about decontamination after returning than keeping the particles out of the space suits. Keeping the ship or habitat sterile is the challenge. No one will fund a one-way trip to mars. It isn't going to happen. However, NASA's long term Mars plan will have a return flight and this is one of their biggest hurdles right now. The ship that will take us to mars is in the testing phase right now. Manned testing starts in 18 months or so. Mars maybe as early as 2020 or 2025. I'm sure we can overcome the toxic soil issue but it is a huge engineering issue.

10. deerworrier Jul 10, 2014

its like big brother in space! I looked through a few of the profiles and im pretty sure I would leave earth as a normal sane(ish) person and arrive on the red planet as its first mass murderer. and as for the one way thing, that will only be a minor glitch, as soon as more folks want to go jet star, easy jet and ryan air will be offering returns with carry on only for $1 and up.

11. deerworrier Jul 10, 2014

and I would wear an Invicta to mars ::facepalm1:: can you imaging the horror on the forums? id push and shove my way to the front of those I hadn't garrotted on the trip out, leap out of the lander module and plant my Papa new Guinean flag and claim tribal rights over everything I saw ::screwloose::

Varasc likes this.
  12. Varasc Jul 11, 2014

Ah ah great! Nice contribution to this thread and, eventually, to mankind's space exploration! :)

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2014

Wonder what a Mars bar would cost on Mars . Have to be cheap no freight....:whistling: