Forums Latest Members

manual or automatic speed master

1. alpinamotorsport Jul 30, 2014

I have decided that I would like to buy my first Omega. I have decided on a Speedmaster. I was looking at the 3510.50 and variants of that watch and I think I really like them. I have 3 newbie questions:

1. Automatic or manual wind? Would the manual wind be more robust, with less moving parts, less to go wrong? Is the automatic just as robust and more desirable?

2. Hesalite or Saphire? I think I'm leaning towards the sapphire which as I understand it, is harder to scratch but not as lustrous looking.

3. Are there sellers on Ebay that you could direct me to? I am willing to pay more for a pre-owned version if it is coming from a reputable dealer. I see a lot that are fairly inexpensive from Japan. Should I stay away? Should I just buy new and not take a chance. Thank you.

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 30, 2014

3. Are there sellers on Ebay that you could direct me to? I am willing to pay more for a pre-owned version if it is coming from a reputable dealer. I see a lot that are fairly inexpensive from Japan. Should I stay away? Should I just buy new and not take a chance. Thank you.

Here we go again...Best bet is to stick with trusted Forum Sellers. IMHO you can't go wrong with Kringkily.

3. alpinamotorsport Jul 30, 2014

after a great deal of thinking about it, I have decided to spend a little more and go for a pro (3570.50) instead of reduced speedy. I will reach out to Kringkily. thank you.

tinger likes this.
  4. repoman Jul 30, 2014

Looks like I was a few mins late with my reply, I think you are making a good decision Alpina. for the record, here is what I was going to say:

Alpina, welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to go for a Speedmaster! Many of us on the forum are Speedmaster freaks. I'll take a crack at your three questions.

1. The watch you buy has to be one you love.. As for manual or automatic, Omega makes quality time pieces, I don't think you should have any concerns about reliability on either. If the movements are kept in good working order and serviced as appropriate, they will run forever. Many of us do prefer the manual wind as that is a key attribute of the Iconic Speedmaster selected by NASA in 1965 as the watch that went into space. I have three manual wind Speedmasters and absolutely love them.

2. Hesalite or Sapphire, pretty much the same story as question 1, can't go wrong on either, but there are collect-ability considerations and physical differences in the material. Hesalite is what was used on original Speedmasters from the late 50's and 60's, its what has always been used on the "moon watch" Speedmasters. It does scratch more easily, but can be polished very easily, its more resilient to shattering. Sapphire is tough as nails and harder to scratch, once scratched, its harder to polish out, and it can shatter more easily than Hesalite. Personally, I don't have a strong preference, it doesn't drive my purchasing decisions. If I could pick, I'd generally opt for Sapphire because I tend to be pretty hard on my watches in terms of scratches, not drops :cautious:

3. I'm not a fan of the bay for quality watches. The trusted sellers on this forum are AWESOME, no reason to go anywhere else unless you want to buy from your local authorized dealer.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2014

3570.50 is the way to go

6. alpinamotorsport Jul 30, 2014

I have learned so much on this forum already. Thank you all for the warm welcome and the information. I was torn between the 3510.50 and the 3570.50 and after thinking about it a lot, and reading everything on this forum, I decided the only reason I would buy the former is the lower cost. Life is short and I keep things forever so I'm going for the true moon watch. Oh I should mention, I was born in 1969 so there was never any other choice? I sold my Submariner because quite frankly it was pedestrian and I saw it on other peoples wrists 5-6 times per day!

7. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jul 31, 2014

Hi,

please have a look at: http://omegaforums.net/threads/need-help-selecting-the-best-speedmaster.15120/

...Hey,

1. look for a manual wind - price is more stable
    2. look for a very complete set - price is stable
    3. try to catch a limited edition of your choice - had allready the pricedrop behind and will not drop too bad again
    4. Take ste Steel brackelet - if you want an other, but it afterwards somewhere else ;-)

... If Hesalite or Saphire? Depends on your preference - i would co and catch the hesalite if its your first Speedy!

All the Best,
    Hans