Forums Latest Members

Maddening decision of what cellphone & plan to choose! Z10? 5S? 6? OnePlus?

1. eustace Sep 27, 2014

Al, here's how it did...sold out. Yes...it's not like it sold 10million units or anything close to that, but it seems to be beating expectations.

Also Trev - you forgot to mention that the entire keyboard functions as a trackpad, something fresh and innovative that doesn't exist on Android or iOS devices. Interesting piece of tech. Go Canada!

Archer and Trev like this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

There's no Ringtones folder within the iTunes_Control folder when you're browsing the connected 5s?

Cool idea, but what's the advantage? Isn't the entire screen already there for direct touch input?

3. eustace Sep 27, 2014

A few things, apparently. On key scrolling, flick to type, swipe to delete, and what I think is the most powerful feature -- fine cursor control for copy / paste. I've haven't owned a BB in many years but this will certainly appeal to people (myself included) who hate copying and pasting with a touchscreen.

4. msp1518 Sep 28, 2014

No there wasn't. And i returned the phone to AT&T today. I could not get enough of a signal to reliably receive calls at home. Needless to say i was stunned. So i am still with Verizon (my iPhone 4 was still active) and now i will have to get in line for an iPhone 6 with Verizon. They cqill give me a $200 trade in for my phone so i guess it's the way i have to go.

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 28, 2014

Wow, sounds like AT&T sucks. They have a bad reputation even worldwide, so that's not surprising :)

Hopefully you'll get sorted out quickly.

6. msp1518 Sep 28, 2014

Trying AT&T was clearly a bust. And I see mytouchoad typing continues to suck. Ouch.

Shipping dates for the iPhone 6 are now into late October. It's nuts.

7. Poday Sep 29, 2014

FYI, Verizon phones that support LTE (everything currently available) will generally command a better resale price than AT&T. All LTE Verizon phones are factory unlocked, meaning that they can be used pretty much anywhere in the world with the proper SIM card, and no additional fiddling is needed.

The problem with pre-LTE Verizon phones (as far as resale value goes) is that they are CDMA only, and therefore not typically "world" compatible. Your iPhone 4 is CDMA, and that's the issue. An iPhone 6 on Verizon is going to be worth more than the same device from AT&T because it is unlocked.

8. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

9. msp1518 Sep 29, 2014

Whats interesting is if that holds true it will be a complete reversal. AT&T iPhones have been much more valuable on the used market than Verizon because they could be jail broken and used overseas. Verizon iPhone a 3 and 4 fetch pennies on the dollar in comparison to AT&T.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 29, 2014

If I go to US, which prepaid card should I buy during my stay with my overseas phone? AT&T or Verizon or other?
    I seldom call but heavy on data (Google maps, browsing, Omegaforum etc).

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

I would think Verizon for data. Of course if you stop by you can log in my wifi :D

Privateday7 likes this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 29, 2014

I know wifi should be good in many places including hotels.:thumbsup: However I would need data on the go during driving and walking.
    So, I'll go with Verizon. I assume I could just buy in any Walgreens, right?

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

Not sure how that works, but some one will chime in

As to wifi availability, yep widely available - However they won't feed you for free, I will :D

14. msp1518 Sep 29, 2014

Most visitors use a GSM phone so that excludes Verizon. When i was living in NYC all the visitors i knew used AT&T or one of the more local resellers. The NYC area gives you choices galore. Not so much anywhere else.

15. eustace Sep 29, 2014

I'm not sure where you are located, but you should check your local cable/phone providers to see if they have any reciprocal wifi arrangements in the USA. For example, Comcast (USA) has a deal with Liberty that opens up 2.5 million wifi hotspots around Europe.

I recently did a trip to Europe and had my phone on airplane mode the entire time. Nevertheless, I was able to use free wifi pretty much everywhere I went and I can call and receive phone calls for free using some handy voip software on my android phone + google voice to manage my text messages. Actually, I set it up with a local USA phone number, so my friends in the USA could call a local number and it would ring in Europe.

Bottom line, I didn't pay an extra cent for any of this.

16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

Yep, if he gets a Skype-in US number he can do that (with his friends being able to reach his US number regardless of if he's using wifi or cell service). There's a handful of other companies offering similar services too.

Personally, I'd do that in addition to swapping out the US sim-card for a new local number too.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 30, 2014

I am sure my local Indonesian provider does not have reciprocal with any US carrier. They offer expensive and rather limiting roaming option which usually only get second class priority in coverage.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 30, 2014

Yes my phone is GSM, so Verizon out? Only AT&T then? I heard T-mobile is poor and Sprint is the worst?