Forums Latest Members

Love thoughts of in this Tri-Compax

1. Wilddyan Jul 27, 2014

Hi guys

Would love to hear thoughts on this tri-compax.

Is the only picture I have currently $_57.JPG

2. woodwkr2 Jul 27, 2014

Incorrect hour hand. Incorrect minutes counter subdial hand. Replacement crown. Bottom pusher may be a replacement. Savagely overpolished. This is (was) a spider lug case; it looks like the lugs have almost entirely been rounded over with polishing. Here's an example of what those lugs are supposed to look like.

Hope you got a screaming deal and have a parts watch at home or have a return policy. Many of the parts that are wrong are unobtainable (or nearly so). Figure in ~$600-1000 for a servicing depending on what movement parts need to be obtained.

Always better to ask before you buy. We can help save you money and heart break.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

Do you happen to have a case reference on that? Should be printed on the outside back - 5 digits.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2014

He hasn't bought it yet, he is asking before he buys.

never mind, got it - 22283. Not a spider lug case, and may not be overpolished based on examples in Sala. The hand substitutions are as woodwrkr says however.

Not sure I'd pay the ask. This is a sub-USD4000 watch IMO. Strongest thing going for it is size.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. woodwkr2 Jul 27, 2014

Nice catch, on both accounts, Lou. Thought this was a seller's photo of a watch that was incoming.

Having now had a look at ref. 22283, I completely agree regarding the level of case polishing... and it's a good thing, too. Destroying a spider lug case like that would have been criminal. I'm also no longer convinced that the crown has been replaced. It may be original, or may not. Would need to see some more pictures.

In sum: I'm standing by my original comments about the hands, and the originality of the lower pusher needs to be investigated--can't tell from this one picture whether it has just seen some use/abuse and is missing some plating or has been replaced.

As a pre-sales assessment, be sure to inspect the movement or receive some pics of the movement and inside caseback. Based on the level of wear to the rest of the watch, you want to make sure you're not setting yourself up for a movement that obviously needs lots of parts.

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. Wilddyan Jul 27, 2014

Thanks guys- I haven't bought it- I always ask before doing anything as you guys seem to know a huge amount- was mainly asking as thought was an interesting piece and am looking for a Tri-Compax with numbers.

Thanks

7. rolokr Oct 21, 2016

Should have probably bought that one ! Heres my 22283 a large and awesome case !

20160828_152215.jpg
  8. rolokr Oct 21, 2016

The lugs are polished on top, and brush finish on the claw lug sides.

9. rolokr Oct 21, 2016

This in one I wear a lot of the time ! First Triconpax I purchased from Hess Fine in 1999 !