Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 7, 2014

After seeing some iphone/loupe photos, I am interested in knowing what loupes people use to examine watches and/or take photos.

Do the loupes attach to the cameras? Etc.

2. ulackfocus Mar 8, 2014

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 8, 2014

I use a 10x Mitutoyo with a No.5 reticle which has scales to allow basic measurements to be performed. Which is wicked overkill unless you're performing surgery on seriously small machinery or electronics. (which I'm stuck doing)

Get something between 3 and 5 power and avoid plastic lenses, too much distortion and they scratch too easily. Unless you neeeeed a Leica you can get a decent loop for under $100 don't be temped by 7 or 10x stuff, way too much magnification.

Any good digital camera with a macro setting seems to be able to get as good a view as a loop, just find a sunny spot.

By the way, if you have a loop with a reticle, its fun to put a small spider in the loop and hand it to the guy you share the lab with.....

If your lucky the spider will be sitting on the reticle in perfect focus (which is to say HUGE) when he puts it up to his eye.

Note: be ready to catch the loop and run......

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 8, 2014

So with both of these, the watch sits on a table,, with the loupe over it? Rather than the loupe in your eye ( ala Warren's avatar). Does that mean that to use it, you need to take off the bracelet/band? What size is the bit that goes over the watch (ie big enough for a speedy?).

Sorry, complete noobie on this.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 8, 2014

I take that back. The asco isclearly borg style, can you use that for photography?

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 8, 2014

7. ICONO Mar 8, 2014

Alternatively - Find an old, cheap, SLR film camera at a 'Thrift' / Charity shop - an old Pentax / Olympus / Minolta - Take the standard lens off - and use that, reversed - the optics will be infinitely superior, & sharper than any loupe.

I use an old Nikon 50mm 1.4 - ( I was an Advertising Photographer for 25 years )

You can use the discarded camera body, as an ashtray / door stop / Something to throw at a noisy neighbour

Spacefruit, STANDY and Fritz like this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 8, 2014

hold the loop against yer noggin, hopefully aligning with an eye, bring the work to be examined up until it is in focus.

this results in the widest view from the loop and you look all rugged to the girls (see Spikispikester avitar)

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 8, 2014

Did you ever think we would reach a stage where a Nikon was only useful in two chunks as a magnifying glass and a hard object to whip at the noisy dog next door. My 35mms haven't seen film in years!

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 8, 2014

For general work, I use a pair of 5x flip-down lenses mounted on an old pair of safety specs.

I use a 4x loupe with springy loop for detailed work and a 10x Belomo triplet for quick checks or when I'm out and about.

P1030220.JPG

If I have to get really close to the action, I use one of two microscopes. One is a variable binocular lab scope I got off eBay for the cost of a good loupe, the other is a generic USB one that plugs into my Mac.

P1030221.JPG

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 8, 2014

If you need stuff like this you can check out Watchbitz or LaBanda, both Brissy based.

http://www.labanda.com.au/

http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php

I'd suggest a good quality loupe (or two) and a springy holder, trying to hold a loupe in your eye socket can be a strain after a while if you haven't been doing it all your life.

12. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 8, 2014

I use this to take with.
    Have other stuff for home use
    7x power Hastings Triplet Magnifier has a focal distance of 1.5"(3,9 cm)
    The finest magnifiers Bausch + Lomb three separate lenses, bonded together
    Also known as the"Jeweler's Loupe"

[​IMG]

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 8, 2014

Thanks all. I have bought a couple. Will report back.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 18, 2014