Forums Latest Members
  1. alanshunter Oct 19, 2014

2. cristos71 Oct 19, 2014

Looks like someone was a little heavy handed with the dial cleaning solution!

knafel1983 and alanshunter like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 19, 2014

You're far more likely to get responses if you show a bit of courtesy to the knowledgeable members of this forum rather than insulting their intelligence by using the forum as a search engine. Try introducing yourself in your first post and ask questions not just in the thread title.

As for the watch, its only worth is as a donor movement because some idiot has ruined the dial.

4. alanshunter Oct 19, 2014

Thanks for the warm welcome Stewart , I apologise if I have missed out a step or two in the forum initiation.
    No doubt you will be correct and the dial has been tampered with at some time in its history thank you for your kind remarks, I have personally have owned the watch for over 30 years and it has always looked this way . I am the owner of a few Omegas all from the same era early to late 1960s and I was given this one by my father who in turn got it from a friend of his that designed golf courses for a living.I dont think my 82 year old dad had a hand in the dials work or rework ( but I will ask him ) I can only assume it has been this way for perhaps 40 years as it lived in his drawer from the time he owned it. I would say that although it is only of interest to some as a donor , to me it is possibly the favorite in my small collection and the actual dial with arabic faceted numerals is for me not too common .
    I did wonder if anyone would have a similar Constellation in original condition .

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

How about a catalog page from 1966?

[​IMG]

As you can see, the dial has been abused at some point.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

felsby and alanshunter like this.
  6. alanshunter Oct 19, 2014

Thanks for the image Gatorcpa does look very similar

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

The dial is the same. The one pictured is gold. Your watch is steel. No matter. Almost all dials were avaliable in several metals.

gatorcpa

8. Mothra Oct 19, 2014

Alan, that's a terrible shame - I can see why the watch is special to you and why you might keep it the way you've know it for so long, especially given that the original finish is so far gone, but t lose the 'officially' text and the constellation branding is a real blow on a pretty watch like this one. Personally, I think I'd try to hunt down a donor dial.

One thing that does confuse me - although the case has clearly been opened to strip the dial, the gasket still looks like the original yellow one which a) suggests the dial may have been deliberately modified and b) it may not have been serviced at all recently. If so, you should avoid wearing it until cleaned and lubricated if possible.

9. alanshunter Oct 19, 2014

Thanks Mothra I guess thats a fair way to go with it and I could try to search out a dial , I did have the watch serviced around 5 years ago so it was given a good going over although obviously no gasket replacement.
    The watch maker did tell me the dial had been stripped but I wasnt overly concerned.
    It keeps fantastic time and runs faultlessly.
    I am aware that the existing dial could be re finished but Im unsure if that is ever fully successfull.
    Thoughts on that would be interesting .
    thanks
    Alan

10. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 19, 2014

Let me also add a little warmth to your welcome.

As mentioned, the dial on your watch has at some stage been denuded of it surface. The dial, in its original condition with the Arabic markers, is quite uncommon and would have looked like this model below. The watch case looks like a 168.005 to me.

[​IMG]

alanshunter likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Sounds like a case where at some point in the past something catastrophic happened to the finish and an owner thought maybe it would just look better with paint removed and all silver tone. I seen this done before. Kind of a "worth a shot" type of thing.

felsby and alanshunter like this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

You would be correct on that. I've seen very few redials that I would classify as successful.
    gatorcpa

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 19, 2014

Maybe at first it happened on some spots then an amateur jumped in and made it look like a leopard. Stripping off everything was his final decision.

14. alanshunter Oct 20, 2014

Thanks Mondodec thats a lovely example

15. amilioto Apr 21, 2018

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 22, 2018

Hi Desmond
    where were you when the loose arabic pie-pan dial was discussed? ;)

since this is a rare variation - if you have no objection, I'm going to link these threads together in @amilioto 's other thread, so that the discussions are available in one place

felsby likes this.
  17. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 22, 2018

It seems the OP is not a forum member any more. But with a nude dial like his, there would be nothing but the cost of a redial to lose by giving it a try - it could always be returned to its former state. How would one track up a decent redialing business?

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 22, 2018

Which other thread?

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 22, 2018

Edited Apr 22, 2018
    efauser likes this.
  20. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Apr 22, 2018

Hmm, probably in a tiny village in Southern France called Eus where I’ve been taking a no human contact cure :). I didn’t see the other post so thanks for hooking them up

Peemacgee likes this.