Forums Latest Members

Looking back: Best or your favorite watch purchase of 2013

1. NT931 Dec 22, 2013

Easy choice for my favourite - definitely the Reverso Duo, with advice and enabling from Warren!

But overall, it was a pretty good year for me as a noob, with several other vintage purchases thanks to help from fellow forum members, including a Sparkle dial from Mike, a square 'super-flat' from Norman, and a pie-pan Connie courtesy of Adam & Brian (basic horological math: Adam + Brian = Connie, or A+B=C)

So buying watches was great, but buying watches from friends, and with advice from friends, was the best part of 2013. You guys are awesome. :thumbsup:

photo(3).JPG

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 22, 2013

I was so active this year, that it's not an easy question to answer. However, it's probably a tie between my favorite vintage dive watch (shown below), and a very rare chronometre that is, coincidentally, scheduled to arrive either Monday or Tuesday.

[​IMG]

3. Reintitan Dec 22, 2013

I had a buying frenzy the last 3 months of the year, but this surprise purchase which is also my last of the year probably is my favorite. I wasn't expecting to get the "call" from the NY Panerai Boutique. I'll call it a Christmas present to myself ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ulackfocus and Spy like this.
  4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 22, 2013

I hope you still recall I have first dibs on this. :thumbsup:

pitpro likes this.
  5. Baco Noir Dec 23, 2013

For me. It's easy. Only added one and flipped 3, so the watch fund is flush while I search. The new one is a Breitling Aerospace. Never saw myself going quartz, but the lack of a second hand makes it work. The Ti case and bracelet make it wear like it's not even there even with the 42mm diameter. After borrowing a friends for a few weeks, I had to have one.
    [​IMG]

Bkirby, TLIGuy and ulackfocus like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

Speedmaster Pre-Pro 105.002-62:

[​IMG]

tamura, Northernman, Ludi and 10 others like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 23, 2013

This would be a very interesting thread :D..........

8. Dablitzer Dec 23, 2013

Lots of ins and lots of outs but a few favourites from the past year, 2013 has been fuuuuuun! :)

A black and textured dial Constellation was wanted from the beginning, this came along in nice unpolished shape so out the squirrel came:

[​IMG]

Then after much connie collecting I finally narrowed the collection down and sourced this 352 ref 2648 chronometer in rose gold:

[​IMG]

Round the same time I traded a couple of steel Connies for this since 2500 Centenary in fine shape as I missed the one I sold:

[​IMG]

Last but not least my favourite "risk buy", not knowing how it would turn out this came to me from France with scratched crystal, and I had a hunch about the dial, markers being rose gold were a welcome bonus!

[​IMG]

I guess these are my favourite pick of the lot, I have also started on sports Omega watches, but I will never let my love for the dress watch dwindle..

edit: just realised it was only the one! ::facepalm2::

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 23, 2013

This morning an easy answer, who knows this afternoon ? ;)

[​IMG]

Northernman, ulackfocus and Dablitzer like this.
  10. Tritium Dec 23, 2013

I'd like to keep with me all the watches I bought this year, but unfortunately this is not possible, so here are my three favorites and keepers of this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 23, 2013

I would say 2013 is my hoarding year. Many enter with very few outs. Mind you this is my first year of collecting.

For modern collection my favorite would be the Speedy Pro LE Apollo Soyuz 35th Meteorite dial. Buying in NOS condition from a UK collector with help from forum member, it comes with all accessories. I am still mesmerized with its dial and red script over dark grey contrast.

WRUW Speedy metorite HR1 (1024x657).jpg

For vintage collection, my favorite are two pairs. Since I saw them among senior member collection, I swear I would like to have them in my collection each in yellow AND pink gold. Fortunately my hunting which began in February, could be completed by December.

The first vintage pair are Constellation Grand Luxe in yellow gold and pink gold. I got the yellow gold through eBay in May with the help of fellow forum member. It is a Connie Grand Luxe ref OT 14 365 with caliber 504. The pink gold one was sourced locally in December. It is a Connie Grand Luxe ref OT 2930 with caliber 505. The crown and second hand are incorrect, but the rests are in very good condition.

Connie Grand Luxe pair front1 (1024x631).jpg

Connie Grand Luxe pair front 3 (1024x573).jpg

The second vintage pair are Constellation Deluxe in pink gold and yellow gold. The pink gold is my first all gold Omega, which made me fall for Grand Luxe/ Deluxe line of early Constellation. I bought it in February from a respectable forum member. Almost missed it since he already traded with his friend, but eventually his friend willing to let go to me. Coming with some imperfection on the dial, I took risk to clean it with satisfying result. It is Connie Deluxe ref OT 2853 with caliber 504.
    The yellow gold Deluxe hunting began when I found there are two dial type in Deluxe line. Brushed and mirror dial. I haven't got mirror dial so I searched patiently in eBay. This is Constellation Deluxe ref OT 2799 with caliber 354 bumper. I got it from Spain in August with the help of a forum member to handle the shipment.
    Connie Deluxe pair on book 1 (1024x576).jpg

Connie Deluxe pair on book 2 (1024x762).jpg

All in all 2013 is a fertile and satisfying year for my collection. I got a lot of friendly help from several forum members, which I gratefully thanks.

Happy holiday 2013 and new year 2014.....

JM251, tamura, cristos71 and 8 others like this.
  12. hondaman Dec 23, 2013

Easy for me as I only added a couple.

DSCF1416.JPG

[​IMG]

13. GETS Dec 23, 2013

I bought 5 watches this year. Without a doubt this was my favourite (although not my most expensive by far):

[​IMG]

14. Tritium Dec 24, 2013

Lovely watch and very nice strap choice.

15. Zuke Dec 24, 2013

Without a doubt this one...

[​IMG]

MattS, tamura, cristos71 and 6 others like this.
  16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2013

These two come in at joint first for me. One dress watch and one sports watch.

[​IMG]

tamura, Northernman, GETS and 3 others like this.
  17. danomar Dec 25, 2013

I did not expect to do much with watches this year, but of course ended up shifting many around. The best incoming has to be this ZRC Grands Fonds 300m, a dive watch I wanted before I started collecting dive watches.

IMG_6596s.JPG

Last week I had an opportunity to re-acquire a Bulova 7605, one of only two sales/trades that I regret. This one is much nicer than the one I let go:

IMG_6597s.JPG

And I guess I have to acknowledge another finally-got-one, a Carrera 3647:

IMG_6605s.JPG

Happy holidays to all!
    :D

18. cristos71 Dec 25, 2013

Loving that ZRC, I've been after one of these for a long, long time. If you ever decide to part with it, please contact me :)

19. cristos71 Dec 25, 2013

I've had quite a few incomings this year, mainly Constellations actually, and if I had to choose just one for the year then it would have to be this one.

Perhaps not the rarest nor the most desirable it's a 2954 cal 504 Constellation Calendar De Luxe with golden dial, onyx markers and with it's original 18kt flat link bracelet, bought from the nephew of the original owner and very lightly worn indeed :)
    016 edit.JPG

037 edit.JPG

024 edit.JPG

JM251, Alpenschneerot, tamura and 8 others like this.
  20. Ludi Dec 25, 2013

Not rare nor expensive, but I have more than a craze for these "poorman's Mark 11"....

[​IMG]

... and will definitely aim for a real "big 11" for 2014, IWC being my favorite so far ::love::

tamura, Tritium, epl108 and 1 other person like this.