Longines BuShips 01.jpg
    Longines BuShips 02.jpg
    Longines BuShips 03.jpg
    Longines BuShips 04.jpg
    Longines BuShips 07.jpg
    Longines BuShips 06.jpg
    Longines BuShips 05.jpg
    Longines BuShips 08.jpg
    Age: 1944 (Per Longines Historical Department's hand-written archives!)
    Maker: Longines
    Case: Steel. Original untouched condition. This has never been polished; I’ll leave it up to you whether you choose to polish the case, but you won’t find me messing with the original contours and lines on this classic military case design. The case back is marked USN BuShips (U.S. Navy, Bureau of Ships), Longines Watch Co. SWISS. 22838/606. 606 is also stamped on one lug, matching the case back to the case. This screw down case is one of the early attempts to produce a waterproof or water resistant watch; before the age of rubber gaskets, maleable lead gaskets were used, which is amazingly still present on this example.
    Crown: Original oversized, unsigned crown.
    Dial: Original, factory finished military spec. 12 hour dial with some beautiful patina, particularly on the original lume.
    Crystal: Acrylic crystal recently replaced.
    Movement: What can you say? These military spec. manual wind watch movements were built tough. This particular movement is the venerable Longines calibre 10L. Just back from my master watchmaker who has performed a full inspection and servicing on this watch. The watch was completely disassembled, the appropriate parts were cleaned in the ultrasonic and then oiled using the finest quality Swiss Moebius oils. The mainspring was replaced. It was regulated and is keeping good time. This watch is not waterproof. Please take care to keep it dry.

From Patrick Linder's authoritative work on Longines, "At The Heart of an Industrial Vocation, Longines watch movements 1832-2009," the 10.68N (10L in America) represented a novel new approach to the centre seconds movement for Longines. "Like the 10.68Z, 8.68N, 25.17, 9.40, or 12.68Z, which had a [centre seconds] function, the 10.68N had an additional bridge to support the centre seconds which was screwed on to the bridges that assumed the contours of the gears in the winding mechanism, its gear-train bridge had been modified. This large bridge, which held the third wheel and the contrate wheel, was raised above the level of the barrel-bridge. This enabled the third wheel to engage directly with the pinion of the centre seconds. A bejewelled and polished steel plate which was screwed on to the gear-train bridge and blanked to assume its outline and held the pivot, thus ensuring a fine finish to the 10.68N. The transformation of this technical construction principle resulted in a structural shape that was totally new in the Longines catalogue of calibres, although it was a true derivative of the aesthetic lineage of movements made in St. Imier."

Cool!--a spectacularly elegant bit of technical horological expertise, cleverly disguised in a no-nonsense military timepiece.

These vintage military watches are in style right now. Rather than buying a modern watch that’s pretending to be a vintage military piece, why not buy the real deal that will continue to increase in value and rarity as time goes on.
    Dimensions: 41mm x 33.5 mm without crown, 36 with crown. 16mm strap.
    Band: Will ship with a NOS pigskin leather band installed.
    Shipping: Domestic shipping via 2nd day air FedEx fully insured by ParcelPro. International orders, will ship via Fedex International. I'll cover domestic shipping in the USA. International buyers are very much welcome, just contact me for a shipping quote and to discuss any specifics.
    Payment: Check or Bank Wire preferred (many references are available). If Paypal is your thing, I'll split the fees with you (so add 2%). All payments must be made in USD.
    Inspection: I adhere to the customary three day inspection period. That is, once you receive the watch, you have three days to check it out, try it on, impress your friends, etc. You can contact me at any time in those three days and return it--for any reason--in the same way that it was shipped to you. I'll inspect it on receipt and if everything's the same as when I sent it, you'll get an immediate refund minus any shipping costs or payment fees I incurred.
    Price: $1095 USD
    I've put in a request with the Longines museum/historical department. When I hear back, I'll update with Longines' findings.

Vron, Ayonnoor, davidswiss and 5 others like this.
  2. woodwkr2 Mar 7, 2014

I love Longines. Their historical department is top-notch.

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 11.39.28 AM.png

Cool!

3. CdnWatchDoc Mar 7, 2014

Hey Wood-very cool piece, and I love the service that Longines provides...can't get better provenance than that! GLWS

4. woodwkr2 Mar 19, 2014

Bump.

5. woodwkr2 Mar 26, 2014

Updated with new and fascinating technical information about the movement.

PM me with reasonable offers!

6. Waynepjr Mar 26, 2014

Could we get a wrist shot for perspective.

Wayne

7. woodwkr2 Mar 27, 2014

Gladly... On a suede NATO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TNTwatch, Vron and Waynepjr like this.
  8. Waynepjr Mar 27, 2014

Much bigger than I expected!!! Thank you!!

Wayne

9. woodwkr2 Apr 16, 2014

Bump

10. woodwkr2 May 4, 2014

bump

11. woodwkr2 May 10, 2014

Enjoy your weekend!

12. woodwkr2 May 16, 2014

Bump. Offers accepted.

13. woodwkr2 Jul 13, 2014

Weekend bump.

14. woodwkr2 Aug 15, 2014

Bump.

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 15, 2014

Don't know how I have missed this 'till now :( vv nice.

16. woodwkr2 Oct 28, 2014

Bump

17. woodwkr2 Jan 31, 2015

Some renewed interest of late. This watch is still available!