Forums Latest Members

LONGINES cal.290.Did I do well?

1. simon Mar 10, 2014

Just bought this one because I wanted a Longines aut. for a long time. Sellers pictures aren,t the best.Will post better ones as it arrives.

Longines 1.jpg Longines 2.jpg Longines 3.jpg Longines 4.jpg
    Dablitzer likes this.
  2. Dablitzer Mar 10, 2014

:thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2014

I want to see better pictures before I make a call, but it looks decent. Appears to be a replacement crown.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 10, 2014

Agree with Dennis' qualification, but, I'd bet that with a crystal polishing or replacement the dial will look very nice.

5. cristos71 Mar 10, 2014

It does look like the hour hand is missing its fill and also looks a little out of shape. Could just be the photography of course.

6. Adam2941 Mar 11, 2014

Looks very nice. Unlike one of your respondents, I would not polish that case at all! Yours appears to be completely unpolished. One sensitive area of this line of Conquests is that the lugs are very thin, and that slight corner facet (bevel?) on the outer corners of the lugs is easily polished off. Usually you see the corners rounded off form polishing. Yours are nice a crisp. I would keep them that way! I truly believe that case polishing is the worst act of destruction that is systematically befalling the stock of surviving vintage watches in the world. The case can simply be washed in the ultrasound cleaner with the other parts when it is serviced. That can brighten it up considerably without any damage. The other sensitive part of these cases is the green enamel on the back, which tends to wear off, but yours looks great. It is hard to tell if the gold fish has been significantly worn, or if the photo is simply out of focus. I agree that the crystal should be polished or replaced. Yes, the hands have lost their luminous, but I would leave them skeleton rather than put in new luminous, but that is just me. I can never read the time in the dark with that luminous material anyway, and it only glows for a short time after exposure to light, so I have never understood the point. As has been pointed out, the crown is not original. This model should have one of those rare scalloped ones, so that will keep you busy for a while, searching for one of those! They are beautiful but function poorly (they hurt your fingers and are hard to turn), which is probably why Longines only used them for a short time. Finally, the photos look like they were taken under non-diffused light, so once you get the watch cleaned (but not polished ;-) and photographed under softer light, it will look like much more of a gem.

Señor ruiz likes this.