Forums Latest Members

LONGINES .925 Silver Trench Watch - Age Question?

1. Hexicon Sep 14, 2014

I have had this trench watch for some time now. I bought it as a project. It was fairly beat up when I bought it. Movement was serviced , Case was buffed , Dial and hands were lightly cleaned & put a Nato strap on her to finish it off.

I have done my own research on it and a little help from others and what I came up with was that the watch was from c. 1925. So I left it at that. However I always felt this was wrong & that the watch was dated much later than this. Any help from trained eyes . I would be much obliged.

Sorry about the poor photos.

MORE WATCHES 002.jpg MORE WATCHES 003.jpg MORE WATCHES 004.jpg MORE WATCHES 006.jpg MORE WATCHES 009.jpg MORE WATCHES 011.jpg MORE WATCHES 012.jpg
    orchidmansion likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 14, 2014

1925 is the year the movement's serial number corresponds to, but that doesn't mean the whole watch was assembled then, and it also doesn't mean the movement came with that case originally - it could have been reinstalled in a later case. However, it does look period correct for the mid 20's.

Hexicon likes this.
  3. Hexicon Sep 14, 2014

Thank you Focus. Well then I do believe it is all mid 20s. That is unless as you say ( and it is not unheard of) Someone along the way stamped the movements number onto the inside of the back plate. As the two numbers tally.

One last thing I would like to ask. What does the {C.W} mean on the movement?

4. Traveler Sep 14, 2014

I have an almost identical one. The Longines 'Brand Heritage' department are very helpful, and should be able to date it exactly for you ( mine is from Jan 1929 ) as well as tell you where it was sold. Just send them these pictures with the movement and case references. You can contact them at : [email protected]

5. Hexicon Sep 14, 2014

That is excellent Traveler ! .. Thank you for that info. Who sold it? .. Would like to know that

6. Traveler Sep 14, 2014

They will just tell you where and when it was originally invoiced : e.g. Mine says 'invoiced on Jan 9th 1929 to the company Zipper, which was at that time our agent for Poland'. They will send you a nice 'extract from the archives' certificate with all the details, free of charge, if you ask them.

7. Hexicon Sep 15, 2014

Thats great! ... Its nice to know that your Longines watch never left home( I guess) ... Thanks again. Cant wait to see what I find out. And FREE also :thumbsup:

8. Hexicon Sep 16, 2014

Thank you baunataler. It really is generous of the company to give that back to customers/collectors. By the way , your own Longines pocket watch is excellent