Forums Latest Members
  1. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 5, 2014

Updated July 2019:

After a few days of torture waiting for the mail men to do their job ;) I finally have this one in hand. :D
    A Swedish military watch with the lovely and very interesting caliber 2225.

Here is some information I have found along the way:

But first to kill another eBay myth: This is not a "bomb squad watch"!
    I have a theory that this "truth" was established due to over extensive use of Google Translate or something. The watch was used in general by the Swedish military, and is said to have been specifically designed with artillery officers in mind. Artillerymen definitely would handle a few "bombs" in their careers, but to call it the bomb-squad is a bit far fetched. :confused:
    Now, I do not claim that some bomb squad guys could not have use for the unique complication of the TG195, however there is no evidence I have seen so far (and I do read Swedish on the same level as my own native language) to support any such claim. But again I may be wrong?

Now to the watch:
    The case is looking very much like the contemporary one-pusher chronographs used by the RAF and others. They also share the same basic movement which is the Lemania caliber 222x (15TL). Omega used this design as caliber 33.3 / 170 / 171.

The thing people often get wrong is what function this specific caliber holds. The caliber 2225 is based on a chronograph, but is not really that in the sense that it has no counters or sub-dials of any kind. So why the "chronograph pusher"?

Well the easiest way to explain why it is there is to tell what it does:
    When one push the "chronograph pusher" the seconds hand reverts to the "zero/12 o'clock" position like a fly-back chronograph would do, however there is one more trick that I have not seen anywhere else: The setting crown is, by the same press of the button, also popped out.
    Since the movement also is hacking (stopping when the crown is in the out position), you have a seconds hand that is zeroed, and you can set your desired time.
    The clock starts running again at the exact time the crown is pressed back in.
    In practical use this is great. If a group of people carrying these watches meet, they can all synchronize their watches to the second very easily. Handy when you want to bomb someone according to a precision timed schedule, bad if your wife also holds one and you are late for a meeting a bit later on!

By the way, "TG" stands for "Tids Givare", in directly translated English: "Time Giver", or “Tyg Grupp” which is a cataloging system used by the Swedish armed forces.

A big thank you to Martin marturx for leading me in to this irresistible temptation, and for a perfect transaction!
    :thumbsup:

Maker: Lemania
    Caliber: 2225 (in house) 15-ligne 18.000 a/h.
    Dimensions: 40mm wide (w/o crown), 47mm lug-lug, 14mm thick.
    Lug width: 20mm (fixed bars)
    Year of manufacture: 1958. (Confirmed by contemporary Lemania watches based on serial number).
    In use: Exclusive to the Swedish armed forces from 1958 and up into the 1970's.
    Production numbers: Not too many! Sweden is a small and peaceful country!:whistling:

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg image007.jpg image008.jpg image009.jpg image011.jpg
    F650D05D-2E67-45C1-BCD3-8FBCEBF6B0C6.jpeg

Edited Jul 22, 2019
    valery70, glnds, davidswiss and 25 others like this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 5, 2014

Great write up and a beautiful piece :thumbsup:
    In the quest of knowledge ;) can you tell me what the hand etched 67 on the movement is in relation to ? I can see it corresponds to the last digits of the movement number and also the case back.

Northernman likes this.
  3. marturx Apr 5, 2014

That watch has really found a good home! :thumbsup:

Nice dealing with you, Anders, and I'm glad it went to such a great Lemania enthusiast as yourself.

On the topic of what the Tg 195 really stands for, I have heard a different story on it from a watchmaker in Stockholm who made some research in the swedish army archives. According to him Tg stands for "Tyg-grupp" which can be translated as "Material-group", i.e the army stock placement where these watches belongs. 195 is the number of that Material-group where these Lemania wristwatches are located in the swedish army material inventory nomenclature.

On the topic of Sweden being a small and peaceful nation, I'm glad that you seem to have forgot that the last war Sweden was involved in, was against Norway, 200 years ago :)

4. Pahawi Apr 5, 2014

Congrats :thumbsup: I know you've been looking a long time for one of these - so now on to the next on your (endless) wish list :)

Northernman likes this.
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 11, 2014

First of all I find your TG explanation more probable than the one I have seen so far. It makes perfect sense in many more ways.

As for Sweden being a peaceful nation I think you made up for past stories when offering shelter and help to our countrymen during the German occupation of Norway in WW2. Several of us would not be around if our Grandfathers had not been able to slip into Sweden in order to avoid capture and certain death.
    By the way we are just about to celebrate the 200 years anniversary of the first (modern) Norwegian constitution. I think that this declaration of independence, together with the fact that the full break when electing(!) a non-Swedish king in 1905, did not result in all out war between our nations is proof enough that you are to be seen as relatively peaceful guys;) !
    If only one of our other neighbors like Mr. Putin and his predecessors had been up to the same standards...... ::weird::

6. fsdfsdf May 12, 2016

Replying to a really old thread here - but "tyg" actually historically used to mean artillery. The officer leading an artillery unit was called "tygmästare" (compare to "ordnance" in England), so if the T in TG stands for "tyg" - it's definitely a nod to that, rather than some more general "material"-meaning.

However, I still think the meaning "Tidsgivare" sounds more probable. As a side note - the verbiage in Swedish military when people are synchronizing watches is "tid ges" (time - given).

7. donkii May 12, 2016

The TG as you say stands for Tidsgivare and the watch was used by the Swedish artillery :)

nickw likes this.
  8. nickw May 12, 2016

Bravo. Beautiful dial!

Northernman likes this.
  9. donkii May 12, 2016

Two years later ;) But hey, I think he still has it :D

Northernman likes this.
  10. nickw May 12, 2016

Ha I was confused by zombie thread.

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 12, 2016

50/50 chance.::popcorn::

Northernman likes this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac May 13, 2016

Not on this one.
    My precious.........

dougiedude, Syrte and Darlinboy like this.
  13. Ludi May 13, 2016

Huge congrats image.gif ... 2 years late :D

I got mine from Martin @marturx too, the definitive official OF TG195 supplier image.gif

Not much were produced, mine is a non issued civilian model, sterile dial (no TG195) and caseback, rarer then the military version I guess (?)

image.jpeg

A niece piece to own and wear anyway :thumbsup: ... plus one of the coolest watch complication ever ::love::

How right you are

Edited May 13, 2016
  14. Northernman Lemaniac May 13, 2016

The TG195 is special in so many ways. The complication for synchronizing time is very cool, and also nicely executed.
    After I wrote the OP I have also learned that TG is perhaps not an abbreviation for "Tids Givare", but rather "Tyg Grupp". Both makes sense, and as it seems even the Swedish guys can not decide fully on the subject I am open for both interpretations.
    The 22xx calibers (15CH based) spawned a very cool range of products:

- 2220 "RAF`" chronograph.
    - 2221 "RCAF-only" chronograph. Basically a 2220 with a hacking feature. Badegd as an Omega, but in all aspects a Lemania. The serial numbers are even Lemania and not Omega derived!
    - 2225 TG195. Not a chronograph, but using the chronograph based construction to create one of the coolest complications ever.
    - 2040 Auricoste Type20 version of the 2220, with proper Fly-back chronograph.

I am still looking for a nice 2220, Those came in both singel and dual pusher configurations as well.
    IMG_3332.JPG

15. donkii May 13, 2016

If I had known, I would have sold you my 2220 in a heartbeat.

16. Northernman Lemaniac May 13, 2016

Your heart is still beating I presume?
    ;):D

17. donkii May 13, 2016

In like 205 bpm... Sold it to US and A

18. Northernman Lemaniac May 13, 2016

Good to hear. At the time you listed it I was too preoccupied with other purchases and work.

It means the chase is still on.... I have the other calibers already. Only a 2220 or two is missing.
    Fortunately they are the easier to find.

19. Ludi May 13, 2016

Three scored.

In addition of the Tg195

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

... hélas one missing, far out of my reach I'm afraid :oops:

edit: To be honest, the RAF Lemania is caliber 15TL powered actually, but still ;)

20. Northernman Lemaniac May 13, 2016

Not if you find a civilian "demo version" directly from the source.... That is if they made more than one.....
    I highlighted the hacking lever in the first movement shot.
    IMG_3265-2.jpg IMG_5215b.jpg IMG_5241.jpg