Forums Latest Members
  1. wbfondren Feb 1, 2015

Is this watch even real? I have never seen a Pink Dial Tri-Compax in such good condition (and to be honest, I haven't seen many pink dial Tri-Compax's). This is my grail UG, to find one would be incredible. This watch is literally in perfect condition, combined with the fact that I've never seen one quite like this, it's safe to say this watch has exceeded my general knowledge of UG. So can anyone help me out with this watch? Just basic information, etc.

upload_2015-2-1_16-6-2.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-6-37.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-6-59.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-7-8.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-7-23.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-7-36.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-7-51.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-8-3.png
    upload_2015-2-1_16-8-14.png

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 1, 2015

Real? Yes, it is an authentic UG Tri-Compax. The dial is repainted. And to me it looks white. What makes you think it is pink?

Probably a good idea to ease back on the breathless hyperbole and browse around a bit before spending any money - it's no good spending money on something that "exceeds your general knowledge." You are liable to buy something not quite right.

3. woodwkr2 Feb 1, 2015

:rolleyes: That.

(With replacement hands & crown)

4. wbfondren Feb 2, 2015

No it isn't for sale. It was randomly posted on some online watch museum.

And maybe it is just the light that makes it look pink.

5. woodwkr2 Feb 2, 2015

There's nothing about this that makes it look pink to me, FYI.

6. wbfondren Feb 2, 2015

My mistake.. Did UG ever do full Pink dials like Patek did with the 1518?

What I'm interested in I guess are the more rare Tri-Compax's that one could own. Not trying to find one that is for sale, just want to know what the more rare pieces are.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

UG is not like Zenith for example, which put out the early El Primero in 3 steel references (or 7, or 10 depending on how you want to define 'early'), each alike. There are literally dozens of references of Tri-Compax cases alone. Combine that with dozens of dial patterns and you get hundreds of combinations. A list of rare ones would probably run to...well...most of those.

UG requires a different approach. With the exception of a few of the more common references, you can't be stubborn and say 'I'm going for this model." You can have an idea of size and case metal, you should have a very good sense of what could be authentic and what is more likely to be bogus and then you must be open to opportunity and serendipity.

I'll add that there is no short cut, no "cheat sheet" or inside track to learning these watches. There is no substitute for studying as many of these as carefully as you can. Hang out and participate in discussion. Be patient. Get Sala's Universal Geneve if you are looking to bite into this in a serious way. http://omegaforums.net/threads/book-on-universal-geneve-by-sala.6320/
    Then you will be prepared to pounce when you are certain.

8. wbfondren Feb 2, 2015

Thanks for the explanation. I'm loving UG more and more with everything that I learn. Honestly it's fascinating that it isn't easy, because the hunt for these watches is the best part. I have ordered the book and it's almost here! Looking forward to it's arrival and can't wait to keep hunting for my perfect Tri-Compax.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

Yes!

You will find it revelatory, and more expensive than you imagined. It is not easy to settle for one UG;)

wbfondren likes this.