Forums Latest Members
  1. Caymanfvr Aug 11, 2014

Good day! I just bought my first Omega! Unfortunately don't know too much about the Omegas. This one dial looked really good and movement is extra clean and works nicely. Can anybody shed some light on it for me please? Any info would be very much appreciated! Attached are some pictures.... photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Aug 11, 2014

looks to me like you posted pictures of 2 different watches (3rd picture is different watch?).

3. Caymanfvr Aug 11, 2014

Yes, 3rd picture is wrong, sorry!

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 11, 2014

It's the second one that is different from the first and third. Crown at 3 rather than 12.

Photos 1 and 3 are a pocket watch conversion and who knows what the side-on shot is. Also black strap on number 2 - white on 1 and 3.

5. Caymanfvr Aug 11, 2014

Yes, the picture with black strap should not be there...sorry for confusion, cant see how to delete it. Thumbnails were small...

6. Mothra Aug 11, 2014

Pocket watch conversions are not well regarded I'm afraid, as the originality of the watch is gone, as the dial and cases are products of the fevered imagination of a Ukrainian power seller. The crown at 12 and the size (vintage wristwatches were relatively small) is your clue that this watch did not start its life designed for the wrist.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 11, 2014

If you click on the "gear wheel" icon for the post, it will take you into edit mode. just click on the errant picture and press delete.

As a pocket watch, that one would have been lovely.

8. Caymanfvr Aug 11, 2014

Thanks for the info :)

9. mac_omega Aug 12, 2014

I think the dial is totally original on this watch and most probably the movement is too...

The dial seems to be porcelain and has a beautiful design - I love it!

But the "watch" in it´s total is a marriage - the movement and dial derived from a (most certainly melted down gold case) pocket watch and was re-cased into this recent SS case. So at least movement + dial have been salvaged and not thrown away...

The watch as it is now is a beautiful large "conversation piece" and I think it will get much attention when you wear it - just enjoy it as it is.

BUT: from the collector´s view it is worth near nothing, sadly.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2014

The annoying thing is that the crown and pusher are being blocked by the lugs and strap in that configuration

Caymanfvr likes this.
  11. Caymanfvr Aug 13, 2014

Thanks very much... will enjoy it for what it is :)
    I appreciate all the feedback!

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 13, 2014

Something to keep in mind. Many pocket watches sold in North America had North American cases. I've had several lovely old Omega pocket watches and they were all in cases made over here. When you bought a watch you chose your movement and your case, and the watchmaker or jeweller put them together. I've seen really high quality railroad watches in totally crap but original cases because the original purchaser needed a RR watch but saved on the case.

Some countries have tight import laws and taxes on importing gold or silver so, same story, local cases used. (Like Omega 30mm movements in English Dennison cases)

Also, some people, especially railroaders, kept their watches through years of hard use, so changing cases as they got worn or damaged isn't unusual.

So you could find a suitably sized pocket watch case and salvage that lovely movement. Its not original but it would at least be closer to correct.

watchyouwant and Caymanfvr like this.
  13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 13, 2014

Exactly the same dial+hands (except for the second hand) on the Cl. 3535 in the 1925 catalog :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This tends to confirm Erich's comment.

14. rolexfantastic Aug 13, 2014

How terrible to see a cal. 18" P CHRO taken apart from it's case. The case may have been long scrapped. The 18" Chro is quite rare in gold.
    The dial on this specimen is original and gorgeous, while the hour, minute and chrono hands have been replaced.

/F

15. Mothra Aug 13, 2014

:) Cayman, you now know which bits are original and that you have some of a fantastic 1925 omega. Better on your wrist than lost forever.

Caymanfvr likes this.
  16. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 13, 2014

I agree for the chrono hand (I typed second in my previous post, but I meant chrono), but what makes you think that the hour and minute hands were also replaced?

17. rolexfantastic Aug 14, 2014

Although the Breguet / moon hands seem correct in size (i was confused by the size of the minute hand), i haven't seen yet a gold specimen with gilded moon hands. Most gold Omega chronos (either 19" or 18" Chro) are fitted with leaf / pear hands set, gilded or black.
    A rather rare combination, when available, all the gold chronographs fitted with moon hands are either black or blued.
    If the hands (minute and hour) are correct, most likely the case was not in gold.

/F

18. Caymanfvr Sep 15, 2014

Good morning, Thank you very much for all the info. It has been helpful. Here are a few pictures of the movement and case for those that may be interested in seeing it. DSC_0032.jpg DSC_0037.jpg DSC_0039.jpg DSC_0043.jpg

Hexicon likes this.
  19. Hexicon Sep 15, 2014

Freakish how you pull them out of the hat !! Truly a Gift ....

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 15, 2014

nice one ! good to see a rescued chrono come back to life. if you want to make it more authentic, use the catalogue pics. and cut out a small tear drop counterweight for your center second hand in the exact shape and size ( thicker drawing paper might be best), fix it to the end of the hand with a small drop of strong glue and paint it in the colour of the hand. will make a big difference and can always be removed easily..... enjoy it ! kind regards. achim