Forums Latest Members

JLC Memovox Vintage Two Tone

1. anthony2014 Sep 29, 2014

Hey Guys! I do not know a lot about watches. Could you guys help me get some history on this watch? $_57.JPG

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

NT931 likes this.
  3. NT931 Sep 29, 2014

That dial looks odd though, especially the lume dot erupting from the O of 'Coultre'

4. anthony2014 Sep 29, 2014

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

No, that's how they are. Also, you'll notice that the hands were dipped in radium rather than having inserts like most. One of the nicer dials I've seen on these. Usually the radium burns up the dial and the dots tend to fall off. Not here. Another example that I found surfing the web:

[​IMG]

Note that the radium dots are in the same places.

Here's an old LeCoultre ad from around 1950 that shows this watch with a silvered dial:

[​IMG]

Look at the left side of the 2nd row.

One this about the old LeCoultre brand. You'll note that at the bottom of the ad it says "Vacheron & Constantin - LeCoultre division of Longines-Wittnauer Co. Inc.". Longines-Wittnauer is the US importer, and was not directly connected with any of the four mentioned watch manufacturers in the name (although it is likely there was some relationship among the owners). All four companies had separate movement manufacturing facilities in Switzerland, although all but V&C used US made 14K and gold-filled watch cases for the Swiss movements.

This was a common practice to save a few dollars per watch on customs. It does not mean that your watch has any connection to any Vacheron & Constantine product, despite what you'll read on eBay. Only than they shared the same US importer.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

NT931 likes this.
  6. anthony2014 Sep 29, 2014

Oh wow that is very interesting! I had no Idea that they dipped it them in radium. I had seen watches like this before, but the lume dots always varied. Of the four models I have seen , not one had identical lume placement. The man who sold it said the crown was replaced but the dial is original , not retouched. I was a bit worried it might not be authentic but thank you for clearing that up :) The link did not work

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

Yes, I think the upper crown may have been replaced. I removed the link, since it did not work, and I didn't want to upload the whole parts sheet. When I get home from work, I may have an alternative site that has it.
    gatorcpa

8. anthony2014 Sep 29, 2014

Ok wonderful thank you for your help! Also I beleive this watch is from between 1953'-55'