Forums Latest Members
  1. Norfolk Jan 13, 2015

Along with the Omega 352RG which was not what it seemed I got offered this recently. Any thoughts as to its originality would be appreciated. I like the size. Manual wind less appealing. 18k solid case. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Norfolk Jan 13, 2015

Sorry didn't get shot of movement.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 13, 2015

I can't see if there is "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial. If not, then it is probably a older refinished dial. You have to understand that redials used to be done all the time as part of routine service.

That's one of the reasons why collectors place a high value on original dials and crowns. Those tend to be the exceptions rather than the rule with certain vintage watch models.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2015

That's a 40's watch with (probably) a 400 series caliber. If it's a redial it's a decent one, but I can't tell from those pictures. Have one myself in deep pink / red gold, but with subseconds instead of center sweep. The hands, crown, and case look correct - except maybe the second hand.

5. flyingout Jan 14, 2015

For comparison, I've got a very similar piece, with plainer lugs. For the moment, I'll just post photos in case anyone wants to comment. Then I can tell you what I know about it.

IMG_2664.jpg IMG_2668.jpg

Modest_Proposal and Norfolk like this.
  6. Norfolk Jan 14, 2015

Thanks. That looks like it. Iirc it didn't have Swiss made logo. So any ideas about value? And is servicing easy on these movements?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Service can be done by any good watchmaker experienced in vintage watches. These old JLC's were simple and extremely well made.

Spare parts are a major issue for some JLC calibers. Some parts are made of "unobtainium", so you want to make sure it's in good working order and all that needs to be done is a standard service.

The "A" on the back means that the case is solid 18K gold. Still not sure about the dial, so I would discount for that.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

8. Norfolk Jan 14, 2015

I really like the teardrop lugs on this case and it is a watch I would wear. Can these be dated in the same way as Omega with an extract from the archive - I am thinking this would make a great birth watch for someone? He is asking $1600. I have no idea if that is a good price or way out...JLC not really my market so guidance much appreciated. The dial is what I would call grubby and dirty - would it clean up or is it best left alone?
    Thanks again for all the advice.

9. flyingout Jan 14, 2015

I try to track these as well. They seem to have prices similar to that one but don't sell, so I don't really know what they are worth. I see the teardrop lugs more often, though I'd assume they would be more desirable.

10. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2015

Yeah, that's a little high for that watch - getting into gold dial territory. Mine was completely redone by JLC at LeSentier and I wouldn't ask much more for it.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Yes, but JLC charges a relative fortune for the service. I think it's about $400 or so. Not worth it IMO. You can look on their website for more information.

Dennis is correct in that this is was made sometime around 1945.

I think that price is a bit high, even if the dial is original. I would say no more than $1,200 if dial is original and maybe $750 (at most) if it is not. Yes, the dial is worth that much.

Leave it alone. Unless you are willing to spend up to $2,000 to have JLC do the overhaul and redial correctly (and even they make mistakes...ask Dennis about that), you won't be happy with a redial. I know that I wouldn't be.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Norfolk likes this.
  12. Norfolk Jan 14, 2015

Thank you for the frank and honest comments. I shall mull it over and let you know the outcome...

13. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2015

Check your messages.