Forums Latest Members

"iWatch" - The Apple Watch Thread

1. abritdownunder Sep 17, 2014

I've been an Apple devotee for many years, in 1980 I was playing with an Apple ][ micro and am currently sat at my iMac with my Apple TV connected to my (sadly unApple) TV behind me and iPhone and iPod charging on the desk next to me. I've been waiting, with some excitement, for the iWatch debut and now it's here feel a real sense of anticlimax. It seems to lack that Apple design flare we've come to expect, I feel they have seen a potential market and just produced a generic product that doesn't innovate at all. Throughout Apple's history, they have push the boundaries, made cutting edge devices with cutting edge designs. This is a disappointment!

watchme likes this.
  2. BarracksSi Sep 20, 2014

(rare post for me here)

My wife wants one. I don't think I'll be able to resist, either. Best design and UI so far, and the easy-change straps and bracelets rock. Tool-free sizing on the bracelet with the butterfly clasp? I'm in.

The only feature I still wish it had is solar charging. We probably still have to wait a few years for transparent panel yields to get high enough, though. I don't see kinetic charging finding space inside because, well, it needs space -- if the oscillating mass (in any form) is too small, it's simply not massive enough to generate enough energy to be worthwhile.

Trev likes this.
  3. timeismoney Sep 20, 2014

Also screwed if you wear your watch on the right wrist.

4. timeismoney Sep 20, 2014

reminds me of this: image.jpg

5. BarracksSi Sep 20, 2014

The display can be flipped.

6. timeismoney Sep 20, 2014

ah....duuuuh! But I still won't buy it :p

BarracksSi likes this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 20, 2014

This is as close as I'm going to get.

[​IMG]

Northernman, Privateday7 and Trev like this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2014

This is what I heard for the pricing:
    Stainless steel with leather or plastic strap: $380
    Stainless Steel with SS flexi bracelet: ~$900
    Edition Gold with luxury leather strap: ~$5,000

Sales target: 30 million units per year. (I can not believe my eyes on the target, but that's what analysts expect iwatch sales to justify its share valuation).
    Edition Gold pricing is at mid end SS Omega & Breitling or lower end SS Rolex pricing. All Rolex annual sales is around ~1 million units, while Omega in ~800 thousands and Breitling in ~300 thousands.
    Say iWatch edition annual sales is only 5% from the target, it is still 1.5 million units !!!! higher than Rolex annual production. OK if 5% is still high, let's put at puny 1%, it is still ~300 thousands units or similar to all Breitling annual sales.
    ...and unlike Rolex/Omega/Breitling which will retain most of its value after 5 years, iWatch gold edition will be rendered obsolete within 5 years and valued at scrap only (around $500 at today price).
    I am still scratching my head on iWatch gold edition business value proposition and target ::facepalm1::

9. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Sep 21, 2014

honestly, I like apple products. Over the years there came several ipods, iphones and finally a mac into the household. Since having an eye on traditional watches there won't be any chance for apple to reach my wrist.
    The iwatch feels to me just like another small iPhone, more like a toy than anything else.

Imagine you are on a date and your iwatch wants to remind you on ...., or your mum shows up on the screen ....etc. The date would be terminated.
    :)

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 21, 2014

LOL........probably your mum will secretly install an app to take picture of your date to see the prospect of future daughter/ son in law........

watchme likes this.
  11. repoman Jan 23, 2015

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 23, 2015

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 23, 2015

I see a piece of shim for the wobbly table in the basement.....

noelekal likes this.
  14. TheCaptainOfTech Jan 24, 2015

I don't really like the smart watches but I can defiantly see this taking a decent chunk out of the watch market for sure the luxury brands won't feel the pain but the 300 dollar watches will. Especially with the younger demographics as they will be more inclined to buy these new gadgets in the long run I don't know if this will hinder the watch market or help it. Theres two things that can happen it brings more young kids into the watch industry and when they grow a little older they would want to buy a real watch (Omega Rolex etc.). It could hurt the luxury watch markets in the long run when this new generation grows older and (the technology grows of course) there is simply no need for them to purchase an Omega or Rolex. Of course there where always be some who want to obtain such beautiful watches the Omegas of this world. These are the two possible scenarios that can happen in my opinion.

Omegle likes this.
  15. alam Jan 24, 2015

my youngest son has been working for Apple for the last eight years, he text'd me when the watch was announced and and wrote, "selecting your next birthday present will be easy"… I'm know for sure he buys at a discount...what can I say….:coffee:

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 24, 2015

I don't know how much these toys sell for but having seen the latest G-Shock, I am seriously considering pensioning off the current weekend beater - a Tissot 2010 Nicky Hayden T-Race.
    http://www.g-shock.co.uk/product/?v=MTG-S1000BD-5AER
    GShock.png

I know it's a nearly £1,000 G-Shock but.......

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2015

ow.jpg
    Baco Noir likes this.
  18. alam Jan 24, 2015

Give me a break! He cant afford a Zenith!!! zx

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2015

Live in a place heavily populated by Military personnel and these guys go nuts for G-Shocks
    Was at a mess hall and happened to hear a few guys listing all the ones they have (one had 6 another 9) and have had and whats their next.
    Me sitting quietly with a Speedmaster

Baco Noir likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2015

Of course! and you damn well better look excited when you get it. :thumbsup: