Forums Latest Members

"iWatch" - The Apple Watch Thread

1. msp1518 Sep 9, 2014

The first iteration will be crude compared to whatever is to follow.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

"Apple Junkies" being the majority of Americans and Omega Forums members too! :) Apple devices are the bulk of our traffic here. There's a much smaller portion of Android users, and then a few Windows Phone users (who all work for Microsoft).

citizenrich and Mothra like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2014

I honestly don't get this at all. I see video on TV of people lined up to buy a phone. A phone is a tool like any other tool - I would no more line up for hours (or overnight!) to buy a phone than I would a new set of tweezers or screwdrivers...

4. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2014

Even as an Apple household, I have to say I don't really get it either. Gadget Girl (aka Windy) is the Appleholic. I just get the hand-me-down phones and computers.

This iWatch might be one of the only new Apple products she doesn't buy.

I'll be praying to the Watch Gods that she doesn't buy it for me for Christmas. :eek: ::censored::

dragoman and citizenrich like this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

But are your tools solid aluminum and ultra slim with sapphire glass tips? ;)

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

I guess I'm the lone windows tablet user here who doesn't work for Microsoft ;)

Thorbob and Mothra like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2014

I'm afraid that these materials would make pretty awful screwdrivers and tweezers...

Josh36912 and ulackfocus like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

You're the Surface guy! We've been wondering who it was other than Mothra in the UK

SpikiSpikester, Mothra and lenny like this.
  9. lenny Sep 9, 2014

The Microsoft employee/surface comments are going to keep me chuckling for a while. Thank you for that!

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, the line-up to buy electronics thing is nuts. I'd never do it.

I do agree with Ash. This will completely kill off any quartz sales from Casio right through to Tag, though perhaps much more so for the under-50 crowd. The elders will no doubt stick to their G-Shocks and Seikos when they have the need for it.

I wasn't expecting to be impressed with the Apple Watch, but it looks like they've put a lot of effort in to it, particularly from a user interaction/experience perspective. It's not some half-baked gadget like other "smart" watches we've been seeing (which appear to be nothing more than a crappy phone interface strapped to your wrist).

Battery life is the big question that we still don't have answers for.

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, we've found that amusing too. There's not that many Windows Phones hitting ΩF, but the majority of them are MSFT employees. We weren't joking.

We're hoping one of them can hook us up with some hardware to test our new in-house forums platform on WP8/Surface. There's no easy way to run Windows Phone or Surface in a virtual machine, so nothing ΩF related is ever tested there.

I am somewhat fond of WP8, but the marketshare of Windows mobile devices is so tiny that we've been trying to figure out who our "Surface guy" was. :D

lenny likes this.
  12. François Boucher Sep 9, 2014

This is a game-changing gadget… I need one… soon…

13. JohnSteed Sep 9, 2014

Calling Dick Tracy!! You get first place in the line

14. msp1518 Sep 9, 2014

I won't buy the first iteration. Not a chance. But hopefully it will be a functional device that grows and improves with the 2nd gen. I really wish they would work on some kind of kinetic power. i don't want my watch running out of power during the day. That's just silliness.

For me a water resistant and sports resistant iWatch is an interesting proposition. If it can survive laps in the pool and jogging while giving me certain health or distance indicators, I might buy into it.

For the record... I own an old iPhone 4 on the old OS! Yes, I refuse to update it.

And no, I do not have an iPad. I have an HP Touchpad hacked with Android 4.3.4. :)

15. proximal Sep 9, 2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JM251 Sep 9, 2014

Marketing has perpetuated our society's short attention span and it's acceptance if not outright embracing of products with built in accelerated obsoleteness. These gadgets are not just tools like we tell ourselves. They are a "right of passage" to the "cutting edge" and in turn "acceptance" by our peers. To heck with the rat race and all the junk. That's what I love about the art of mechanical watches and vintage watches in particular. There's an art to it and a value that is clear, lasting and beautiful.

17. msp1518 Sep 9, 2014

That is 100% spot on. Well said. This is now the "gimme for a moment" generation and it has spread like a virus.

18. bill5959 Sep 9, 2014

Disappointing I own three ikepod watches and this is derivative. Newson is brilliant but maybe he's reached his nadir against the smart watch challenge. To me the
    ultimate challenge is user interest. I think tech right now is the ultimate problem to make these useful. BUT remember who the audience/customer is. It ain't me babe.

19. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2014

"engineered obsolescence" or "planned obsolescence"

Josh36912 likes this.
  20. pascs Sep 10, 2014

Doesnt appeal to me in the slightest :confused:

Maybe thats why I dont own any other apple products either, except for an ipod in my car