Forums Latest Members

It was with some relief that I realised the author considers the Omega brand as low end watches.

1. Kizzi Jul 21, 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...er-understood-the-appeal-of-a-posh-watch.html

Spoiler:
    :thumbsup:

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 21, 2014

I'm born, bred and raised in NYC and know far too much about English culture; both contemporary and traditional.

And, I'm not just born in NYC. A good part of my family goes back 10+ generations.

So, how the hey do I know right away what a "hen night in blackpool" is?

I can't believe I'm an Anglophile. What a looooooser I am. I feel exactly like the character Mark Renton giving one of the most epic rants in screen history as he described what
    losers the Scottish are for being ruled by the English. Hahaha

he was right. How do you English do this to everyone???

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2014

This is a more provocative article than you would imagine Rich. The telegraph is very much a Conservative publication (that is Conservative with an upper-case "C" - as in the political party) so, this hits at their core readership.

A hen night in Blackpool is taken to be about as tacky as it comes and to add the stretched Hummer is just emphasising this. Any stretched limo type vehicle is considered gauche in the UK and the stretched Hummer is the pinnacle of this, so he is saying that an expensive watch is the epitome of tackiness - hence, also his reference to Chavs. I don't know what you call them in the States, but in Australia, they are Bogans.

Unfortunately, the writer defeats his own argument by drawing the comparison between a Jaguar and a Ford Mondeo vs. a high-end watch and a Casio. Perhaps, if he thought about an Rolls Royce and a Ford, he would see things more clearly.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2014

Centuries of practice ;)

JimInOz likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 21, 2014

I read the article and I do understand some of the points made there, although I would admit to not being a big fan of some of the analogies he raised. I get several current watch magazines for free (my friend's company prints them - I get samples), and when I see some of these monstrosities that pass for modern horology, I just don't get it.

For example, just because one has the capabilities to put a barometer in miniature inside a watch movement, doesn't mean that there is any functional value to it. Particularly when doing so may take away from the primary function of a watch (to keep accurate time) and the barometer isn't as good as a dedicated unit either. The car mags call this "the answer to a question that has never been asked". I see a lot of that in modern watches.

I wonder if the planet would better off with a Seamaster AT or Rolex OP in their choice of metal and the better part of the remaining $200K invested in appreciating rather than depreciating items. Or better yet to a deserving charity.

But who am I to say? It's not my money.
    gatorcpa

6. Kizzi Jul 21, 2014

I think the article is a good conversation piece, not unlike the object of the writer's scorn. At least it beats talking about the weather.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2014

Boy that really opened my eyes! I take possession of my new Ferrari next week :D

Stewart H and citizenrich like this.
  8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 21, 2014

Oh , definitely. The Telegraph already has a "counterpoint" published and done.

I don't want to go charging into the swamp of persecution / victim politics but I'm far more offended by these modern dciks jetting around in Gulfstreams and telling us plebes to ride a bike. Bikes are for little kids, exercise and warm climate third world nations (except for the Netherlands).

but, I can afford a nice watch and a nice car but not a private jet so most likely I'm just jealous of those who can. NO. wait: I'm jealous of the people who fly around on private jets and don't lecture me. I want to be like them. I look up to them.

I resent the clowns who fly around on private jets and tell me to ride a bike to work. That's a distinction and a difference.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2014

As they say, "If it flies, floats or fcuks, it's cheaper to hire it."

STANDY, blackwatch and NT931 like this.
  10. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 21, 2014

I don't want to go charging into the swamp of persecution / victim politics but I'm far more offended by these modern dciks jetting around in Gulfstreams and telling us plebes to ride a bike. Bikes are for little kids, exercise and warm climate third world nations (except for the Netherlands).

Whooa im from england and ride a pushbike! I do it for fun and excercise, i walk to work so i dont need a car or the added expense of something i dont use. The article hopefully doesnt represent everybody in the uk and in my eyes everything above a casio could be considered a luxury item.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 21, 2014

Coming from a guy who owns art galleries.::screwloose::

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2014

You own art galleries!? In Darwin?!?!

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 22, 2014

Do own a bit of art myself.

The author of the article owns nitre clubs, and Art galleries selling million dollar art works and he's having a hard time working out a expensive watch purchase.

Sorry didn't want to waste time on this (guy,idiot,I'll say guy to be nice) guy....

Spy likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Jul 22, 2014

Just goes to show that the author is fine with his own chosen form of materialistic douchebaggery, but scorns any other type. :rolleyes: