Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 11, 2013

well, that's the point - OP wanted to know whether it was an original Omega, not a bargain-priced retailer brand.

2. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2013

Wonder if the case & caseback are authentic, with a Landeron 48 stuffed in there? I don't know squat about these early chronographs, but somebody went to a lot of trouble to make the markings on the inside of the caseback look real.

3. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2013

I agree that the originally posted watch is a monstrosity!

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 11, 2013

... And I also wonder when did they modify it? If they do it back in 40-50 s we might look at the oldest fake....

5. devoti Jul 11, 2013

I reported the seller for the watch above and the watch is no longer for sale. He kept trying to say it was real.

The scary thing & real concern is he has over 800 watches for sale and most are looking suspect with bad engravings. A ton of them are Omega's. They look like they can be orig. and some are, obviously a lot them have been redialed and replaced crowns but I'm curious what you guys think;

Are these fake Omega's parts inside and cases, case backs aside from the bad dials jobs? If they are fake's, it's easy to report him and we should report to ebay (only if there fakes) and they will remove each item reported.

What do you guys think? Are these reportable? It looks this guy is taking a huge advantage to our community or am I being overly concerned? Sorry if I am and will let it go.

He want's $1,350 for this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-50S-...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2a2a0e8acaPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

He has two Ranchero's for sale and so many others including Admiralty's.
    [​IMG]

Here's a Zenith he's selling with very suspect engravings, Zenith is known for there quality case engravings:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

His eBay store front: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/timewatches4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

7b643eae.jpg
  6. Mothra Jul 11, 2013

Fortunately his pictures are pretty distinctive - it saves me accidentally looking at any of them...

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  7. devoti Jul 11, 2013

Should we be reporting this seller to ebay? Or does the community just let these kind of sellers fly?

Apologies in advance for going off topic but it does seems related.

8. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 11, 2013

AMEN to that brother

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 12, 2013

I just avoid any watch offered for sale from South America, Asia, Turkey and the old Eastern Bloc because of the amount of refinished/fake watches you see from those regions.

I know I will miss out on some genuine items but caveat emptor.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 12, 2013

Put Mexico on your list.

Then that'll be one more person we don't have to fight for some of Alex's gems :D

And I've found fakes everywhere, even from "1st World" countries like the UK, USA, Australia even :eek:.

I think the secret is to get educated, investigate the buy, and post it here for forensic examination.

What could possibly go wrong :unsure:

MKelley likes this.
  11. devoti Jul 12, 2013

I totally agree but I think we need to do more and report them to ebay (it's easy) when we see these items that are fakes otherwise these crappy watches will continue to be sold as originals to newbies. Isn't this thread about helping newbies? It seems a lot of forum members just love yelling fake whenever possible but don't seem to care if there being sold.

Just click "report item" it's shown above the item number, then select pulldown "copyright & trademark" and then next select "counterfeit" follow the rest. eBay then starts tracking these sellers and see if there's a pattern. The watch I showed above has been pulled off eBay.

12. Poday Jul 13, 2013

13. MKelley Jul 13, 2013

Unfrickin' believable.:eek: ::facepalm2::

14. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 13, 2013

Ok, there are no emoticons here to portray how truly shocked I am :eek: :eek:

15. Poday Jul 13, 2013

It's pretty crazy. I assume the buyer saw the part about it being fake (and the fact that he/she saved about one million dollars off retail on the purchase), but I've never understood buying a replica. I can understand a redial, since technically, it is the right watch (just as a repainted classic car is still the same car, not a kit).

But a fake is a fake. The only reason to knowingly buy a replica is to impress people. Problem is, it doesn't impress you, because you know it's fake, and most people have no idea what that watch is, so they wont be impressed either. And the people who are familiar with that watch will know it's a fake. Lose lose situation.

You can get some pretty nice authentic pieces with $2500...

16. devoti Jul 13, 2013

Nice job somebody, the fake PP has been removed. It appears Ebay must be listening as they are actively stopping the auctions that are being reported.

"I agree that these should be reported when found. At the same time, it's interesting to see what people are willing to buy without research."

The problem is most people getting into buying their first or even second old watch doesn't know they have to do some intense research to find out if an old watches is real or fake; Yes most people know Rolex get's copied but let's be honest I don't think any of us knew a lot when we first got into watches and would not have been able to spot the difference between a real Seamaster and a non obvious fake.

The more we report fakes, hopefully the less we have to spend time on this thread and instead (hopefully) spend more time discussing nice watches.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 13, 2013

Don't believe it quickly sir.......:)
    After recent researching phony bidding pattern, I would say with high probability (say 70%) that this auction is also as bogus as the watch.
    Check the 3 bidders (t***z with 0 feedback; w***a with 12 feedback and e***i with 312 feedback) that 'create' the ending price, just unrealistic bidding pattern.