Forums Latest Members

issue with chronograph function with Speedy Racing

1. alberto May 2, 2014

Hi everyone,
    I need some help.

Some days ago I was using the chronograph function of my Speedy Racing.

I stopped and then restarted the large seconds hand.

When I restarted it, the large seconds hand did not move anymore, and the small seconds hand suddenly stopped.

I pushed again the stop/restart pusher (at 2), but nothing happened.

Then I tried again, and finally both small and big seconds hands began to move again. I stopped (pusher at 2) and then reset (pusher at 4), and everything was set right.

It never happened anymore, everything in the watch is working properly.

Is it normal / can it happen?

If not, what kind of problem could it be? The small seconds hand should not be engaged with the chronograph mode, for what I know.

As I work in advertising, I use a lot (but gently) the chronograph mode of my watch to check the time of TV/radio commercial scripts. Let’s say twice a day as an average.

So I make a intense use of a chronograph, I’ve always had chronographs with this purpose, and never had a problem before (and my Speedy is just two months old).

I don’t do it for the fun of it, it’s part of my job. I’m a one watch person and I’ve always used my watches not only to live but also to work with.

Is it too much for a cal 3330? Is it a movement too fragile for this kind of use?

Even if I think I’m just making an everyday use of it, not abusing.

As for me, I would wait for a second time to be worried about, but please tell me what you guys would do. Service, for example.

Thanks a lot to everyone,

alberto

Ryan.uk likes this.
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 2, 2014

it can happen sometimes... it doesn't automatically mean there is a problem.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 2, 2014

Was the watch fully wound? I've had ETA 7750 based watches occasionally not engage like that, not often though.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. alberto May 2, 2014

Thanks Spiki.
    I'm also hoping it's not a (big) problem.

5. alberto May 2, 2014

Thank you Dsio.
    I suppose it was. It happened in the late afternoon, the 3330 is automatic and I was wearing it since the early morning.
    But my main question is about the small seconds hand. it should be independent from the chronograph function, I think.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2014

I can't say for sure what caused the watch to stop when the chronograph was engaged - it happens sometimes and as long as it doesn't happen again I think you are fine. My wild guess would be just an alignment issue between the chronograph runner and the oscillating pinion - peak of one tooth landing on the peak of another by chance, and causing things to stop - again just a guess. It's part and parcel of a horizontally coupled chronograph.

With regards to the small seconds, well certainly they are not independent from each other - it's all driven off the same mainspring, and if some sort of interference stops the chronograph, it will stop the whole watch., so that's perfectly normal.

Cheers, Al

zodiac1886, citizenrich and Ryan.uk like this.
  7. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank May 2, 2014

Al we love it when you talk dirty! ::jumpy::

citizenrich likes this.
  8. alberto May 2, 2014

Thanks a lot Archer.

Good to know about the small seconds.
    As for the chronograph, if I got you right, I should think it was only a temporary iinterference with no permanent damage, right?
    And, do you think that cal. 3330 is sturdy enough to be used like I use to do?

Thanks again for your help
    alberto

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2014

Unless this happens frequently I would not worry about it personally. You have warranty on the watch so just use it as you would normally and if the problem comes back, take back it and get it looked at.

With any horizontally coupled chronograph, in my view the most potential for wear happens when the start button is pushed to engage the chronograph function, and the already turning teeth of the oscillating pinion or coupling clutch meet the stationary teeth of the chronograph runner. So in my view, starting/stopping/resetting it frequently is harder on the watch than say letting it run all the time, or obviously not using the chronograph at all.

However this watch is based on the ETA 7750, and that is a movement well known to be sturdy and reliable, so I don't think this is something you need to avoid using or anything like that.

If you want a chronograph that would be able to take all the stopping/starting/resetting/continuously running you want to throw at it, get a vertically coupled chronograph. Examples include the first one (Seiko 6138/6139 - they don't get near enough horological credit for this IMO), Omega 3303 and family, F. Piguet 1185, Omega 9300, etc.

Collectors tend to go gaga over a column wheel switched chronograph compared to a cam switched chronograph - to me personally this is like focusing on the tires that are on a car you are looking at and ignoring the engine...but that's just me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Ryan.uk likes this.
  10. alberto May 2, 2014

Thank you Archer, helpful as always.

11. Ryan.uk Jul 2, 2014

Hi, sorry to re-ignite a cold thread, but I've just gone from a 8500 PO to a 9300 POC and I must admit, I do miss my big 'sweeping second hand'.

For me, it's the constant reminder that you're wearing a precision crafted instrument. Anyway, can I start the chronograph at midnight and let it run forevermore to get my big sweep fix or will it cause wear I should otherwise look to avoid? I know watch nerds united will shun me for my blasphemous behaviour, but is it acceptable, tested and 'Omega Mothership Approved' to run the chronograph 24.05/7? =]

Thanks,

/Ryan

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 2, 2014

The 9300 is a vertically coupled chronograph, so running the chronograph is not a problem at all. I would stop it every once in a while to make sure the two parts of the chronograph runner do not get stuck together...I see this on vintage Seikos...

Cheers, Al

Ryan.uk likes this.
  13. Ryan.uk Jul 2, 2014

Thanks Al! I can imagine I'd have to get parts of the movement replaced through wear over time that people who left the chronograph off permanently wouldn't.. But I guess that's life? =)

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2014

Rolex's service center said the same about the Cal 4130 Daytona so I run it most times, handy thing to have not having to worry much about running it.

15. hkrauss Jul 7, 2014

alberto: I notice the same behavior on my new Omega Mark II (2014 re-issue), which also contains cal 3330.
    My only other chronometer up to this point was the classic hand-wound Moonwatch, which always worked perfectly.
    So I was quite surprised (and worried) when the cal 3330 stopped completely for the first time upon starting the chronometer.
    It happened more frequently on stop-and-go usage, without resetting in between. On my Mark II, every 30 to 80 stop/go cycles, the issue reappears.

I passed it to Omega Vienna and got it back after 3 weeks. No change in behavior.

As archer said, it is probably the heritage on the horizontally coupled 7750 (or 7753, which has the quick date adjustment). We probably have to live with it, but I am definitely not happy with the situation.

Last week I bought the Apollo 11 45th Anniversary Limited Edition of the Moonwatch. This helps me forget about the issue ....

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2014

Nice mate pics of the 45th Apollo 11?

17. hkrauss Jul 7, 2014

2014-07-01at17-44-05vrkqv.jpg 2014-07-01at17-46-280hjcf.jpg 2014-07-01at17-48-10wbk8r.jpg 2014-07-02at21-30-26jdjrd.jpg 2014-07-02at21-30-47dqkfs.jpg

The movement of my watch (cal 1861) is extremely well adjusted: after 7 days of daily use, it is still at plus/minus zero seconds. Never seen that before!
    The original strap has a nice color, but for me it is too long and also too thick.
    I bought a navy blue one from timefactors.com (9 pounds), and I think it goes well with the sedna gold.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2014

The OEM strap really does look like a quality made piece, tempted to order one for my Speedys

19. hkrauss Jul 7, 2014

It definitely is. But the price tag is also quite different! I wonder what Omega's other OEM NATO straps will look like.
    Omega's initiative introduced me to the world of NATO straps alltogether. Never had one before. Now I play around with Seamaster on NATO, Speedmaster on NATO etc.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 8, 2014

Ask and ye shall receive...these were just posted to the Omega Extranet last Thursday...

[​IMG]

They are nice, but it will be a cold day in hell when I pay $150 (straps 1-6), $200 (strap 7), or even $250 ( strap 8 - leather) for a NATO strap! You can order the whole set with all widths for a mere $3600!

Cheers, Al