Forums Latest Members
  1. klscomo Oct 23, 2014

Hi all,
    First post here. I have been browsing the omega forums for a bit now and am absolutely an omega enthusiast, but not extremely knowledgeable.

I am currently considering a watch I found online and am unsure of its authenticity and valuation. Any help would be much appreciated as I dive into the unknown vintage watch world. I am interested in identifying the model/caliber/dating of the piece, what servicing something like this would entail/cost, evaluating its authenticity and understanding its potential value so I can make an educated purchase.

The watch is for sale from Buenos Aires, Argentina, which in my brief understanding of watch sales could mean several things about its authenticity and frankenwatch status. It also seems to be in extremely good shape, but the dial has been repainted and the case looks polished. in my understanding this devalues the watch immediately.

It states that the Omega watch is from the 1960s and has a 17 jewel omega manual wind up movement, caliber 601. It states that the serial number (later calls it ref number) is 25029305. It has a black dial and 34 mm stainless steel case. I have included several pictures below. The auction ends late this evening US Mountain Time. Once again, thank you for your help.

Best,
    Kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wongo Oct 23, 2014

Enjoy looking at it... don't even spend a penny on it.
    Without researching, all these parts are real, the problem is the repainted dial. For unknown it looks good and great for investment into a military type watch. Fact, its redone and actual value is alot less then what the sellers normally demands.

UncleBuck likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 23, 2014

Hi Kit-

Welcome.

I'm glad you asked about this before making a bid, because it is exactly what you should not buy.

As you have already noted the case has been polished and the dial has been refinished, the two worst things you can do to a vintage watch.

These faux military watches have great popularity but no value as collectors watches, this is not a style ever offered on this watch.

I suggest you keep searching for a better first Omega.

4. glennsim Oct 23, 2014

You may also consider a good authentic 15J 30T2 Omega WWW military watch for your collection.

The folks over at MWR forum may be happy to answer your questions too.