Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Nov 20, 2014

I promised myself only one Speedy which I thought would be a straight lug. Even found myself a JB Champion to bide the time while I waited for a nice example. Plans changed as along came a 145.012 and I was smitten. Love the watch but still, the JB Champion seemed awfully lonely. So...I went out and found a 105.003 '65 friend. Here it is. I have a week to check it out. Can you guys take a look and let me know what you think? Crown is a replacement and not sure about the pushers. Sorry, no movement photo but I've seen it and it looks fine. The serial number is 25XX and the hands set and reset properly. Price was well below "running" on Spacefruit's scale so I'm willing to forgive minor scratches and minor polishing. Anything I'm missing?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

JohnSteed likes this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 20, 2014

Looks pretty good so far, especially for the money. It sounds like you used the chart the way it was intended.

First this is not a fine collectors watch, and it never will be. It is my favorite kind of watch, one to be worn, enjoyed and used without throwing money away by doing so. I also wager that this watch looks much better in the metal than in photos.

Scratch on case back, dirty plots, case polished, wrong size pushers - BUT you seem to have paid the right money for a watch that has correct parts. You may even have a bargain given the strength of interest in this reference at the moment - keep an eye on the upcoming auctions! It would be quite a different matter if this watch was being offered by a dealer for $7000.

The handset is very nice, the dial is otherwise good, and the bezel is better than many i have seen recently.

Is it a -65?

All in all I think you should be pretty pleased.

3. Selbo Nov 20, 2014

Yep, it's a 65. You're right, no museum is going to come knocking on my door but I wanted something I could wear and be happy wearing. Hey, it feels like a museum piece when it's on my wrist and isn't that the point? I think I'll keep it. Thanks for your feedback.

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. g-boac Nov 20, 2014

I think Will's comments above are spot on, and you can find original crowns and pushers to replace yours if you wish.

The rest of the wear appears honest and representative of a half-century old watch!! It is in very good condition for its age and level of use and while not "new old stock", you can wear it, and even if it gets a little bump, nick, etc, it shouldn't impact the value appreciably. This is a watch to be enjoyed!!!

Good find!

Selbo likes this.
  5. mozambique Nov 20, 2014

Good buy......its going to look pretty sweet on your wrist with that JB Champion bracelet

6. Davidt Nov 20, 2014

Looks great for the price. These seem to be going only one way at the minute! Congrats!

7. bill5959 Nov 20, 2014

Hey. Beauty is only skin deep. Nice. :) Regards. Bill

8. bill5959 Nov 20, 2014

BTW, this just in. The NFL game in Buffalo will not be played. I remember walking to school up hill both ways in 10 ft drifts, and I didn't make $60,000 an hour.

9. JohnSteed Nov 20, 2014

Without piling on ...

:thumbsup: & ::rimshot::

10. mozambique Nov 20, 2014

NFL..........yawn.........!