Forums Latest Members
  1. rycat Jan 27, 2015

I'm looking at buying this watch online, but seller has posted only one very low res small photo (not a great sign, I know).

I realize it’s almost impossible to tell the authenticity from this picture, but if anybody could tell from this if it is an obvious fake I would appreciate the help.

If it is possibly a genuine Omega, does anybody have a guess at what it might be?

Thanks

watch.jpg
  2. Steve1haggart Jan 27, 2015

It looks like a seamaster but I’m no expert . the photo is very poor quality ,it wouldn’t be for me to say but save your money .

ilrocco likes this.
  3. ilrocco Jan 27, 2015

Save you money ;)

4. rycat Jan 27, 2015

Thanks ilrocco, I appreciate the advice. Is the watch an obvious fake, or is the dodgy low res photo that is the red flag?
    The reason I ask is that the seller has offered to meet in person to show me the watch.

5. ilrocco Jan 27, 2015

I can't say if it's a fake or not, but I can say that I wouldn't buy anything with just that picture.
    Meet the guy, take some good pictures of the watch (outside and inside) and then show them here: you'll get some good advices!:)

rycat likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 27, 2015

My gut says it's a genuine Omega.
    But what condition?
    Hard to say from the crap photo.
    Unless the seller provides better pics (movement as well) then I'd suggest walking............

rycat likes this.
  7. John R Smith Jan 27, 2015

It's not a fake. Despite the really crap photo, we can see enough to make a guess that this is an automatic Seamaster, probably a 'bumper' cal 351 or 354 from the early 1950s, possibly case reference 2577. The crown is completely wrong, the dial looks to be in a bad way. If the seller can't be bothered to make an effort, why should you be interested?

Hijak and rycat like this.
  8. redpcar Jan 27, 2015

Low res photos don't necessarily scare me off. You can do some research on the seller if this is an ebay auction. Low res photos = low price. Watch looks authentic but rough.........errrr.......nice patina. Crown looks wrong.
    If you are looking for an entry into the vintage watch arena on the cheap, this might be a good way in. If you are looking at a nice Omega, it looks more like a long shot. This will not be museum quality but might be a neat watch to wear.
    I generally look for sellers who don't care. I then know that there is no emotional attachment. Crappy pics usually mean no interest or low technology. Both work to your advantage. I would prefer a pic that isn't cropped;).

9. rycat Jan 27, 2015

Thanks @redpcar, I am going to meet the seller in person today. So will take some proper photos and post them here. I'm hoping it's just a poor camera and the watch isn't in the shape it looks in the photos. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part...

BTW, any thoughts on a fair price? The seller is asking for $220.

10. Steve1haggart Jan 27, 2015

start of low go in at $100 test the water see how you get on from there good luck .

11. redpcar Jan 27, 2015

Make sure it is keeping time. Highlight the condition issues and what it will take to make presentable to the seller. If it is a screw back, see if it is tight. If you can get it off with your fingers, chances are somebody else has peeked in there and passed. Red flag! $100 is a good place to start. If it doesn't run, $100 would be the max price......unless it is solid gold.

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 27, 2015

Cross hair dial???

13. Drawarms Jan 27, 2015

gamble a bit, see if he has a return policy

14. datniche27 Jan 27, 2015

Highly doubt it's fake, but pretty hard to tell the condition of the dial from that picture. Could be refinished. If it's cheap I'd take my chances with it, it could be a nice find.

rycat likes this.
  15. rycat Jan 27, 2015

Met with the seller and the condition is obviously not great. And as everyone pointed our from the original photo the crown is obviously not right.
    Is it worth making a low offer and trying to get it restored or is it beyond saving?

front.jpg back.jpg
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2015

If you get it restored it will not be worth what you put into it.

17. John R Smith Jan 27, 2015

With vintage watches like these, cosmetic condition is everything. Mechanical problems can usually be fixed, but the condition of the case and dial is crucial. You could replace the hands, the crystal, and the crown. But that still leaves you with a very poor dial and a beat-up case. As Steve says, this watch is just not worth the money you would have to put into it. Save your pennies and buy a really nice steel Seamaster for around $400, if that is the watch you want.

18. redpcar Jan 27, 2015

Is that mold? Somebody tried to open it with a hatchet? Still don't what is going on with that bottlecap crown. I can't tell if the 3:00 marker is actually there. If you needed a parts watch, this is it. If you saw this watch in a pawn shop, they would have $125 on it.

19. datniche27 Jan 27, 2015

How did it look in person? Sometimes these closeups really make conditions look much worse IMO. I would not bother restoring it. But if it's really cheap and wearable enough, it does appear original (other than crown) and the crosshairs are cool.

20. rycat Jan 27, 2015

I am afraid it didn't look much better in person. But the mechanics all seem to be working fine. I still might see if I can get it for around a $100.

Anybody know what Seamaster this is exactly?