Forums Latest Members

iOS 8 help needed (Update) -> 8.0.2 Now Out

1. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Yeah, sorry. That's a bit unfair. "They're a long way from going Win98-Vista era Microsoft" would've been more accurate ;) The new guy in charge really seems to have his shit together.

2. Mothra Sep 27, 2014

:) That's more than fair, thanks!

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Yeah, you can blame that one on operator error at 7am.

I think you somewhat misunderstood my comment. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (pre iPhone), the iOS ran one product, the iPod. Updates were easy, as there were maybe two or three generations of Apple mobile hardware to update.

Microsoft, due to their policy of licensing software to every single computer manufacturer, has had to deal with all the major and minor differences in computer architecture with each tiny update to Windows. The fact that most computers in existence can all run the same software (some better than others, admittedly) is a real achievement.

Fast forward ten years and now there are multiple iPods, iPhones, iPads, and iWhatnows, all with several hardware and firmware versions for each device. Even though Apple has kept control by allowing only one manufacturer (that would be Apple) to run the software, the more types of equipment they make, the bigger the bloat needed to run them all through the same software suites (iTunes and iOS).

So IMO, Apple is starting to suffer some of the same issues as Microsoft in getting all these different devices and versions of devices to run the same software, without making them all obsolete.

So my comment was really more of a compliment than a complaint.
    gatorcpa

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 27, 2014

So basically, I should wait until 8.03 comes out before I update my iPhone 4 (pre S) and my iPad Mini ? :confused:

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Your iPhone 4 doesn't support iOS8, the cutoff is the 4S which means sooner or later they are going to make you pay for a very expensive upgraded Italian car kit cradle :)

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2014

Crafty!! I have not done any of my devices at all... and wont for sometime yet as all are working perfectly!

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Sep 28, 2014

Well my iPhone 6 landed today and I promptly downloaded the patch for iOS 8 and all is well. A little different yes but things have settled down and everything seems to work.
    The only glitch I've found though is YouTube is playing music through the phone speaker.

8. Gaz6263 Oct 5, 2014

:mad: Having loaded iOS 8.02 I now find I can't cut and paste items from other sites on to the Forum. Grrrr

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

Maybe, but you should be able to save the picture to your photo album You can then upload it by using the camera button at the bottom of the reply box.

This feature was disabled in v8.0.
    gatorcpa

10. Gaz6263 Oct 5, 2014

How do I get the image to my photo album?

11. msp1518 Oct 5, 2014

My iPhone 6 isn't due to ship until October 31st! Grrrrr...

I just hope whatever iOS it ships with has no bugs.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

Touch the photo and hold. There should be a menu item marked "Save Image". That should save it to your album, if it is free to save. I think some images may be protected and those may not allow saving or URL linking.
    gatorcpa

13. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 5, 2014

Since the upgrade the "save image" notification no longer appears in the pane you are in, you will need to scroll to the top of the page to see it.

Cheers

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

Mmm, appears for me

15. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 5, 2014

The wifi has been an issue for many.
    Google and you will see a lot of pissed off people.
    My new "6" with 8.02 had the issue.Very slow performance at times, other times seemed good.
    Download Ookla Speedtest mobile and you can see
    how yours is. Sometimes my download speed was < 1.mbs
    It's now 23mbs and 6mbs upload.
    Changed my gateways security to WPA-Pk
    That seems to have fixed it. Also rest
    network settings on the phone

16. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 5, 2014

Sorry, should have stated on my iPad:)

17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

8.0.0 was rough as hell, 8.0.2 is all good here (on various iPads and iPhones). No copy/paste or save images bugs that I've encountered.

18. ctime3 Oct 5, 2014

off topic I had to visit the verizon store about an account concern. I saw the new iPhones. 6plus is a plus size me. Like an old universal remote. It's big. But what was suprising was how damn thin both models are.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

That's the big advantage of a 6+. Other large phones are cumbersome and difficult to carry about. With the 6+ you just fold it half and slip it in your pocket :D

Northernman, Privateday7 and pitpro like this.
  20. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 6, 2014

Or.....It will fold in half while in your pocket. lol