Forums Latest Members

Introduction, some pictures of my Universal Geneve Tri-Compax

1. valjoux72 Apr 11, 2014

Hello,

new to the forum I wan´t to share some beautiful pictures of my vintage UG Tricompax. I was able to buy it from a collector two month ago from Austria. He took the photos for his ad, so I felt in love ... Starting my little collection two years ago with some Valjoux chronos, I couldn´t resist. The watch was serviced last year so the movement is in good shape.
    Reading through the threads here I realized that in that forum are really some experts and addicted like me.
    So what do you think about my "new" watch, does it looks all original to you?

. P1000280.JPG P1000215.JPG P1000257.JPG P1000254.JPG

Have a nice weekend and best wishes from Berlin

Georg

Waynepjr likes this.
  2. woodwkr2 Apr 11, 2014

Welcome Georg.

That's a beautiful Tri-Compax that you have there. Those spider lugs are really special and don't look to have had too much polishing. We've seen a few examples with spider lugs come to market of late, but I think that's unusual, as I generally think that they are much scarcer than the more traditional lug designs out of Universal. I personally, ascribe a higher value to them. To my eye, these examples belong in the same category as the similarly styled Vacheron and JLC pieces from the same era, with Universal perhaps having an edge in technical superiority with the complications of the Tri-Compax. Though Universal branded movements were not finished to the same degree as the other two.

Everything visible in the picture appears to be original and correct for that reference. Just the crown that isn't really visible.

The hands look like they've been relumed at some point in the past--although they can sometimes appear more green than they truly are if a flash is used in the photography.

It's so nice to see a beautiful, original dial--even with patina.

Based on the case numbers, your example was likely produced in or around 1945.

Congrats! Keep her away from the polishing wheels ;)

Waynepjr likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2014

Very cool, just saw this, love the fact that nobody saw the dial patina and tried to re-finish it

4. valjoux72 Apr 14, 2014

Hello woodwkr2,
    hello dsio,

thank you for your very interesting comments concerning the tri-compax.

The patina of the dial and the beautiful movement have made the decision to own this timepiece.
    I just add a picture of the crown and pushers and another photo of the movement.

I don´t know if it is OK to ask for your opinion concerning the value of the watch here in the forum. But the price range on the web is so wide (starting at 2K € at ebay up to 7k € at chrono24). And I don´t now if the patina would have influence for other collectors...
    For sure I don´t want to sell this beauty the next years, but I´m just interested at your experts thoughts... If it´s not allowed to discuss value here, I would be pleased if you can send me a private message.

Greetings Georg

P1000249.JPG P1000262.JPG
    shaun hk likes this.
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 15, 2014

Hi Georg,
    I cannot answer your question. But I can say one of the many wonderful things about this forum is the mods are happy for prices and values to be discussed, it's all about freedom of information. I like!
    I'm sure someone will be able to help with values sooner or later.

PS - that last movement shot is awesome!

6. rolokr May 15, 2014

Very nice ORIGINAL Tri-compax ! I have one just like it . New old stock dials are around but very expensive. I myself like the patina,
    so looks awesome to me but hurts the value a little bit. Enjoy the watch!
    Roland

7. Noodia May 16, 2014

Nice find, movement and case are in exceptional condition, the side photo showing the pushers and their crispy edges is a killer
    congratulations !