Forums Latest Members

International Shipping - Help!

1. Redwheelbarrow Apr 18, 2014

What's the best method to receive an international purchase in the USA safely, at reasonable cost? I'm considering a purchase from the country of Georgia. But it's difficult to determine whether or not there'll be US customs fees. Will Fedex or DMS charge duty and extra for insurance? Does Paypal offer an international shipping service as part of its global marketing? I've attempted to search the Forum for answers but the search terms I'm using have produced no useful results.

Thanks in advance!

2. woodwkr2 Apr 18, 2014

USPS= least likely to assess duty, can get stuck in customs for a long time, risk of loss depends on the postal service before it's handed off to USPS (you're familiar with loss rates on domestic stuff)
    FedEx= most likely to assess duty, will be sped through customs, risk of loss minimal, read the fine print of the insurance to make sure it covers watches and jewelry
    DMS=? who's that?

No, Paypal doesn't add much here, and your fallback plan should not be to dispute charges or file a PP case in the event of a problem. That's what shipping insurance--and sometimes paying more for courier service--is for.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 18, 2014

Never mind the US customs fees, have you got definitive proof of existence? Personally, I would be more worried about using a form of payment that refunded me in the event of seller default

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2014

I would add that DHL is very fast and unlikely to charge customs (in my experience). However some EU countries have local issues with pilferage.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 18, 2014

Georgia are not in the EU yet. and I have already been on German television news stating that I would vote for the UK pulling out (even if it did cost me more to import watches from Europe) but if more of those Eastern Bloc countries join, I'll go as far as voting UKIP at the European elections next month.

Daniel B and ACTmike like this.
  6. Pahawi Apr 18, 2014

Oh my, you're so right. EU = ::puke:: None of the governments in the countries that pays for all the ::censored:: in the EU circus, dare to let their population vote yes or no to further membership. At least we voted no to the Euro and kept our own currensy........

Rant over :oops:

Paul
    Denmark

watchfever likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 18, 2014

I would think that is "EMS", or global express mail service. Best of the USPS and private courier in my book. Basically, it's international express mail that gets handed off to USPS express mail once customs is cleared here. Had a few international purchases sent this way and it is as unlikely to attract customs charges as regular mail.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 18, 2014

Ems is very good and reliable in Indonesia.