Forums Latest Members

Interesting space compax on the bay

1. Diabolik Aug 23, 2014

This one is interesting. Made up of accessories from other models.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-U...061616160?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item486cb79620Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Nice period UG bracelet which is probably the original that was supplied with polerouter subs
    Nice UG Unisonic box
    I am unsure about the rest.

Any comments/observations ?

2. Waynepjr Aug 23, 2014

Great observations! But the watch which is the important part seems fine IMHO. I would be bidding only on the watch value and not on the rest as it were, just bonus material. Can't wait for LouS to chime in but feel he will be on the same page.
    Only other concern is area of the world..... Hmmmm! Kurdish south or ........ Sorry guys but seriously I would be hesitant to bid on my Grail of Grails from this part of the world. Just me.

Wayne

3. ELV web Aug 23, 2014

this is already mentioned in a thread by citizenrich, go check it out :)

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

That stem issue is not straightforward to fix because of parts availability. I haven't tinkered with it myself, but it is something to do with the spring being integrated into the crown. Anyone have more info here?

It's also missing the pusher washers - but you can address that Diabolik;)

As for the rest, agree it is an assemblage from different watches, but it is all frosting. The watch seems pretty decent. I wouldn't balk overmuch at the seller either - he does frankenize freely, but what you see is what you get.

5. Waynepjr Aug 23, 2014

Lou, I has seen this seller many times with awesome and no so awesome pieces. Area of the world and what I might receive has concerned me. Any points of clarity you can make?

Wayne

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

Turkey seems to be a reservoir of second hand watches - not sure where they all come from. I have gotten many a Zenith in particular from that part of the world from assorted sellers, including this one. The watches are usually in well-used condition, and many have had "field repairs" - that is, not the sort of thing one might see from a factory-approved service facility, but what a small, not terribly well equipped watchmaker might cobble together to keep a watch going. I have never NOT gotten what was in the pictures, but I have certainly gotten punished for not examining the pictures closely enough. So...in conclusion....not scammers, but sometimes subpar merchandise...let the buyer beware.

7. woodwkr2 Aug 23, 2014

He's a decent (meaning trustworthy) seller. I bought a lot of UG crowns from him that he sent tracking info on.

The crowns never arrived. And he was very good about delivering a refund for them. I've got to assume that he took a loss on the sale, but the USPS eventually told me that the package had been returned to the sender after not being claimed in a sufficient amount of time (they couldn't find it and never left a package slip).

8. woodwkr2 Aug 23, 2014

I've subsequently bought some other UG crowns, including one of the aforementioned spring/screw down mechanism ones... Let's just say that this IS a significant problem with the watch.

As Lou alluded to, there are a fair amount of field repairs from this area if the world. So for this seller to include the "correct part" makes me a little suspicious. Something tells me that the installation was attempted and didn't work out... And finding a proper crown or spring assembly is going to require a helluva effort.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

I think this watch is worth a "Predict the Price" competition. It now stands at $2425 with 4d21hrs to go.

as48.jpg as52.jpg as55.jpg as46.jpg

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 24, 2014

No fun in that, the price is shown right on the tag! ::facepalm2::

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 29, 2014

Hammer falls at US$6987!

More than I expected, given the issues disclosed and discussed here.

GLTTB

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 30, 2014

Think I might have to do what LouS does and buy the bracelet hoping the head is out there somewhere seeking its friend for a more reasonable fee.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 30, 2014

Not much more though - I had anticipated just over USD6000. NOt terribly surprised - when was the last time you saw a Space Compax for sale on ebay that wasn't one of those atrocious forgeries? In this case, rare does equal valuable.

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 13, 2014

No doubt the buyer reneged. :p

But the seller has a higher opinion of value for this second offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-UNI...089211887?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item486e5ca9efPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Personally, I wouldn't touch this listing, even if I had one of these...... :whistling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZipWall-ZP2...300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56598cdd04Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

15. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 3, 2014

Sold for USD 6500. Hefty discount.

16. Diabolik Oct 3, 2014

wow ! i wonder how much a real one with original bits is worth!