Forums Latest Members
  1. luzer Jul 21, 2014

hi
    looking for a fair/honest replacement estimate for my vintage UG, in NYC.
    (a not-to-be-named auction house low-balled me on value)

thanks
    c

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 21, 2014

You need someone to do an appraisal? Most jewelers will over-value, most people offering to sell the piece for you will under-value

3. rolokr Jul 21, 2014

I think the members here can give you a fairly accurate valuation, I troll the internet all of the time, so collectors such as I are more in touch with
    the current market values ! Pictures ?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 21, 2014

Yeah, but not may entities will accept valuation by "a bunch of guys on the internet."

Utterlyprep likes this.
  5. JohnSteed Jul 21, 2014

How about Aaron Faber?

6. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

Yeesh, I don't think I'd leave anything I own unattended within 100 yards of that place.

"Oh!? We're very sorry, Sir. But we sold that watch last week. We thought you had left it with us on consignment."

7. JohnSteed Jul 24, 2014

I get it but ... Really? even if for a valuation?

8. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

No personal experience, other than the clueless staff who insist everything is all original, all the time, and the feeling like I need to take a shower every time I walk out of that place.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2014

Dennis and a few others have sold via them, most dealers and auction houses are the same though

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 24, 2014

You know, I really feel obliged to say that hasn't been my experience there. Yes, the pieces are in general priced well above what I would pay (true of nearly every place in Gotham), but I have never been given the hard sell. I step in to browse every so often, and even though I've never bought anything, the staff always lets me look at whatever I want without any particular pressure. My few interactions with Mr. Faber have been very civil.

Now as for Plaza Jewelers, I could tell you some stories....

11. woodwkr2 Jul 24, 2014

I don't appreciate muckrakers, so will clarify that I've never dealt with Mr. Faber. My few interactions have been with a couple of their overly aggressive saleswomen. Perhaps it was the end-of-the-month quota.

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. tinger Jul 25, 2014

I've never purchase or sold to them.
    i'd suggest reading some Faber threads on trf... especially the one posted by Onkyo a few years ago.

13. JohnSteed Jul 25, 2014

Hey C - I recall that when I reached out to my insurance company, think they mentioned either a sales receipt was good or an appraisal.

Find out what your insurers requires. Do just that. No more no less

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 25, 2014

..."blah, rolex, blah, breitling, blah, universal geneve,,,things of dat nature, basically, anything of value!!...come to Plaza Jewelers!!!"

15. woodwkr2 Jul 26, 2014

You can also just buy blanket jewelry/watch coverage. Costs more per $1k than a specific rider, but then you don't have to think about what's at home vs safety deposit box, etc

Specific article/rider coverage is obviously more secure in the sense that you have established the value up front. In the event of a loss, you know exactly what you're getting in a claim.

16. luzer Aug 1, 2014

thanks all
    will check

17. luzer Aug 12, 2014

AF was uninformed and not helpful
    still looking for a quick/easy estimate process

any recommendations? ( have an ebay receipt and pics of the movement, etc)
    c