Forums Latest Members
  1. x3no Feb 10, 2015

Please excuse my ignorance, but are there any import restrictions from buying UG watches from overseas and shipping them into the U.S.?

I know there are for Rolex because of the trademarking but I wasn't sure about UG or others for that matter. I've searched in this forum with keywords regarding this but mostly came up with UG watches in the for sale thread.

2. x3no Feb 10, 2015

Reading some more and trying different searches, I *think* I've found out that you can ship them, but you should do them via insured packaging through FedEx or other carrier.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2015

UG is fine, Rolex is the exception

4. micampe Feb 10, 2015

I think you might have problems with exotic leather in the straps (if customs has a way to know it's in the box, of course).

Edited Feb 10, 2015
  5. x3no Feb 10, 2015

Hmm good point. Something to think about at least. I'll make sure to check that before doing anything.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Feb 10, 2015

I once purchased a watch (happened to be a UG, too) from Italy. It was caught at customs for having a lizard strap. It took two weeks of negotiations and them literally cutting the strap off for them to send it to me!

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2015

I've never had any problems with any exotic leather or crocodile coming into the U.S. They tend to just call them leather watch bands or watch bands. I have seen people have problems with bands coming into Australia though.
    I do try to keep away from the baby albino koalas :rolleyes:

yande likes this.
  8. x3no Feb 10, 2015

No kidding! Thats incredible. I'll be taking note of the strap then just to prepare for any complications if they arise.

Haha yea leave em alone! Lets just get all the croc's first :thumbsup:

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2015

Australia
    Due to C.I.T.E.S importer must know what animal species goods are made from. We support it to the upmost as alot of our critters are worth alot overseas. Japan a blue tounge lizard like @JimInOz showed the other day would be like $10000. We do get people caught at airports with sickening amounts of lizards , birds and small animals. I have had to deal with this in my job on too many occasions

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 11, 2015

Never mind what they're worth Standy - what do they taste like on the barbie? I know what you Aussies are like where anything green is frowned upon and poor old @dsio gets exhibited in a zoo.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2015

I'm actually a vegetarian, they've been trying to deport me to New Zealand for decades

12. SeanO Feb 12, 2015

now that we know you're vegetarian it'll be quicker

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2015

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for one that can't hunt or fish

Alpha likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2015

I haven't hijacked a thread for hours. The best way is with a joke, and this one is gold.

Spanish singer Julio Iglesias was on UK television with British TV host Anne Diamond.
    He used the word "manyana" (pronounced "man -yana"). Diamond asked him to explain what it meant.

He said that the term means: "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

The host turned to Albert Yatapingu from the Gumbaingeri Tribe (aboriginal) who was also on the show. She asked him if there was an equivalent term in his native language.

"Nah" he replied. "In Australia we don't have a word to describe that degree of urgency."

micampe likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2015

Like living in Darwin Jim where it takes two weeks to get a watch from Sydney that took 3 days from the UK

NT = Not Today Not Tomorrow (think i am the only one with a watch)
    So little happens fast up here the locals call Kakadu National park Kakadont
    Cyclone warning = bottle shops run out of beer ( just what you want pissed idiots after a cyclone)

16. Allant Feb 12, 2015

I take it that, being in Darwin, you don't bother winding the watch?

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2015

Gets that hot during the day that only two times used lately that anything happens. Sun Up and Sun Down

Love me fishing and typical conversation due to 8 meter tides

"When you going"
    High tide
    "when you getting back"
    High tide
    "How many Days"
    Packed two cartons of beer = two days

No boat rego ,No boat licence means you cant get done for DUI in a boat. Over 55% of voters own boats so it will never change

18. x3no Feb 12, 2015

:D:D:D:D
    Aussies crack me up