Forums Latest Members
  1. tinger Aug 20, 2014

I'll buy this seiko..

Seiko-Credor-Eichi-II-5.jpg

2. speedbird Aug 20, 2014

I do like Seiko's GS and Credors but for $50 k, I'd just have an AquaTerra and put the balance in the bank

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 20, 2014

Really?

50g's buys me a mint 10 year old Patek Philippe World Timer Watch in Platinum (Ref#5110P) and a sweet 15 year old White Gold Annual Calendar (Ref#5035G) in mint ++ condition.

I'll also have a couple grand left over to spend on booze and hookers and my wife.

In 10 years if I'm still alive @ 55 I'll have (2) 50k watches and a happy wife.

waiting for that next c.d. to come up. I'm tired of losing my cash to inflation and 4 dollar chopped meat.

Northernman likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2014

For $50K, I'd buy a Breguet and finish remodeling my house. If there's any money left over I'd buy a bigger wine/beer refrigeration unit and stock it.

Northernman and citizenrich like this.
  5. tinger Aug 20, 2014

..but..but..
    this platinum Seiko may possibly be the best finished 3 hander ever made.. supposedly even better than Dufour's Simplicity

"waiting for that next c.d. to come up. I'm tired of losing my cash to inflation and 4 dollar chopped meat."
    I've been living on porridge for the past month :(

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 20, 2014

$50k ? I'd be happy with the pieces I have and bring forward retirement a fair wee bit :thumbsup:

Tritium, Fritz, Hijak and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mothra Aug 20, 2014

Aqua terra, GMT master ii, reverso duo, Connie pie pan deluxe, new sm300, nomos ahoy Atlantic.... have I got anything left?

8. repoman Aug 20, 2014

Speediorite, Aqua Terra, new SM300, hookers, and blow. In that order.

9. Mothra Aug 20, 2014

Forgotthegemini4!argh! Also, didn't realise hookers and blow was an option....

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 20, 2014

Enfield Bullet (to replace the old one), Solid gold 50s Connie (to replace the stainless steel one), really good holiday with the wife ('cause she's irreplaceable) and a nice retirement party for Alpha and I.

UncleBuck and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 20, 2014

Glad to see watches pulled ahead of drugs and hookers.

I was beginning to fear for our neighborhood. ;)

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2014

Okay I have never seen the Seiko in question, but having seen several Simplicity examples (I have had his personal Simplicity on my wrist), a Duality, and spent some time in Mr. Dufour's atelier, and I would take this claim with a huge grain of salt.

I don't know who made this claim, but unless you are very experienced at judging movement finish (which most people aren't really) I doubt most would be able to pick up on the subtleties. I spent the entire time there with him discussing movement finishing, and he even gave me a bit of training on how some finishes are accomplished in the traditional ways. The eyes can be deceiving when it comes to judging a finish, and he showed me examples of Geneva Seal watches (this seal is all about finishing essentially) that were quite frankly disasters compared to his work.

There are many ways to accomplish a specific finish (Geneva stripes for example), and you almost need to know how it was done to be able to fully judge it.

Sorry don't mean to be a rabid Dufour defender, but I consider him the best of the best after seeing a lot of high end work from independents and major brands. That's why a photo I took of him in his atelier hangs above my bench - reminds me of the high standards he has as I work....

Cheers, Al

13. tinger Aug 21, 2014

I read it here,

This is the 2nd version..
    http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/one-of-finest-finished-watches-in-world.html

The reviewers opinion on the 1st edition of the watch:
    " The finishing of the Eichi is technically comparable to Philippe Dufour in my humble opinion. It might even be more perfect technically (look at the mirror finished barrel interior). But it lacks some of the warmth and charm of Dufour, the Eichi movement seems a bit colder. My opinion, however, is subjective. Objectively speaking the movement finishing is impeccable."

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/one-of-finest-finished-watches-in-world.html

Pictures cant depict the translucent/liquid like quality of the dial
    Anyone who wants to look at this watch irl in nyc, give me a shout.
    My friend has one.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2014

Hi Ting,

I certainly agree it appears to be nicely finished, but I would say the finish on this watch is "simple" compared to a Simplicity. The plates cover a lot of the movement compared to the Simplicity, and of course this watch does not have a Swiss lever escapement with a pallet fork, pallet bridge, or balance wheel that have to be finished. The plates also have a very simple straight grain finish where the Simplicity has Côtes de Genève. As I mentioned there are many ways to produce these stripes, and although they are a very common decoration, seeing them done to the sort of standard that Mr. Dufour does is extremely uncommon.

This was the decoration I spent the most time discussing with him - the equipment used, the compound angles that he used on the spindle head, the wood used for the spindle, the specific carrier oil used for the abrasive, and the type and grade of abrasive itself. Then the finished result is determined by how skilled you are at moving the table by hand at the correct and constant speed. This decoration alone is one where you can judge a lot about how well the work is done on a movement. Most companies used stamped out abrasive paper in an automated machine, and that sort of work is instantly recognizable if you know what to look for.

I respect the views of the reviewer (who I am familiar with and who is certainly experienced) but in my opinion to compare two watches for such fine detail it would have to be done with the watches side by side in person. You can't rely on photos or memory to do such a comparison in my view.

I took this video while at Mr. Dufour's - at that time he had some others working with him to produce the watches. This shows a small portion of the effort required to simply polish one countersink - of course all done by hand The person doing this had only completed a few in the entire day - the time spent on these details is considerable:

I'm not saying it's not possible that the Seiko has equaled or eclipsed the Simplicity, but to be convinced I would have to see them both side by side.

It is nice to see people challenging the top makers though. I do agree with the reviewer that the movement leaves me somewhat cold, which is common with Japanese pieces for me. I certainly respect the effort that goes into a Grand Seiko for example, but they again leave me cold aesthetically - both dial and movement side.

Cheers, Al

tinger likes this.