Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2013

At work, on IE8, I've had no issues until 15 minutes ago, and now I'm getting this

Your version of Internet Explorer is too old for our site.
    We're committed to supporting popular devices of the present and beyond. Sometimes this means letting go of the past.
    We recommend updating your browser to enjoy a better experience and improved security everywhere.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 10, 2013

Contact your IT department and demand an upgrade so you can browse the forums without hinderance :)

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2013

its all ok again now......

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 10, 2013

Thanks for the heads up.

It's safe to ignore that:) All should be back to normal.

We're retaining IE8 support for the foreseeable future, but some of the newer and more exciting things will unfortunately not be unsupported in IE8 (due to the substantial time commitment required and lacking capability of the browser itself).

We're making tons of changes and improvements to ΩF under the hood. Generally, none of this interferes with the main site, but sometimes little pieces slip through. My apologies.

Just out of curiosity, has your IT dept. provided any timeline for upgrading?

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2013

I work across two systems. I am in one department temporarily, which uses IE8. I then citrix into my home department's system, which uses IE9.

I generally use the IE8, as that is on the computer/system I'm on, rather than having to browse through citrix on IE9. I've no idea when the IE8 is going to be upgraded, as I'm only here temporarily.

6. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 10, 2013

We'd like to support everything new and old, but those older versions of IE are particularly troublesome. The usual page rendering issues are known and fixable, but there's many modern and very useful technologies IE simply has no support for.

Rather than invest a lot of time in extensive IE hacks and fixes, we figure it's more effective to direct our efforts towards the rapidly growing segment of mobile devices, etc. For the ΩF basics and essentials, IE8 support will remain... for now :)

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2013

Did you see that Kogan is charging an IE8 surchage!

8. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 10, 2013

Yeah, that was pretty clever, even if just for the extra press :)

Supporting 4 year old versions of most browsers is actually not an issue, it's just IE that's special.