Forums Latest Members
  1. Waynepjr Mar 31, 2014

Please, don't throw another Breitling in the mix!!! I don't think I can handle the controversy!!! ::facepalm1::

Wayne

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 31, 2014

:D I agree that Breitling is ugly..........::stirthepot::

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 1, 2014

Surprisingly, the Tissot version is most appealing to my eye... I think it has the most balanced design.

I like early 90's watch design. The Swiss survived the quartz crisis and as they limped out of the 1980's they seemed to be more inspired and focused on design. My first grown-up job was @ 650 5th Avenue in New York City and my bus stop was @ 53rd and Madison which is where the original Tourneau was located. I miss "old" New York (((sigh)).

Each morning, I would stop and stare at the display watches I could never dream of affording. I guess that's where I developed my watch fetish?

CSB

4. gemuzz Apr 7, 2014

Just for anyone interested... Although it's not as pretty as the Universal Geneve, I just purchased the Tissot. Not sure if it is a redial based on the variations of the logo I have seen on different versions during my research, but trying to get in contact with the company now to verify before I pay. Anyway the Tissot dates to 1983 so one would image the UG is a similar time period!

5. woodwkr2 Apr 7, 2014

Well the Tissot was my second choice ;) You'll have to post some pics when you get it in.

I'm kind of doubtful that Tissot will be able to come up with anything... worth a shot though. Since you know the year, I'd look for some period ads on ebay and google image search or see if you can find a 1983 catalog. This time period isn't in high demand, so you'll likely be able to come up with something.

6. gemuzz Apr 7, 2014

Will do, although I'll have to find a way to relate it to UG before someone calls me out for being in the wrong forum! Think I might have overpaid slightly but ah well. I did cut the seller down by 50% from the asking price after presenting my findings of similar watches and their selling prices so I don't know if that's reassuring or not.

I'll take a look for catalogues, thanks wood, seems like you are always full of knowledge regardless of brand! Haha

7. woodwkr2 Apr 7, 2014

If you haven't paid yet, I'd hold onto your credit card for a few more minutes.

I know less than nothing about these watches, but I did find this, here, which prima facie, does not look good for you:
    ChsTissotFils1853Whitelogo_zpse0c56354.jpg

8. gemuzz Apr 7, 2014

That's exactly what's been putting me off. There's also versions with the Chs Tissot & Fils logo but 1853-1983 written underneath. What's confusing me is why the logo would be redone unless it's just a flat off fake... And even then why fake a watch that isn't popular? Going to email the seller and query the source/dial. Thanks for taking the time to do a bit of research, really appreciate it.

9. woodwkr2 Apr 7, 2014

The 1853 is in script. There's at least one example with the Tissot logo in matching script. The design during this time period doesn't really do anything for me, personally, but why would you mix a big blocky font with an elegant script font?

1983 is also the year that the Swatch group bought Tissot, so based on Swatch's early acquisition record, it's probably fair to say that Tissot, as a company, was an utter wreck at about that time. So who knows what they were putting out.

I don't know why someone would fake one of these pieces. I think the more likely explanation is that Tissot was nearing insolvency and was putting out watches with every last part they had on the shelves.

Best advice on this piece I can give you is to only buy it if you're happy with the aesthetics, and don't overpay, because I don't think there's a huge market for these pieces--as we've seen, they were pretty ubiquitous.

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 9, 2014