Forums Latest Members
  1. cristos71 Apr 16, 2014

Well they do say that there is a very fine line between pleasure and pain!

2. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2014

There wasn't anything more on it anyway. It sniped me a second green Flagship box yesterday, and a project Constellation was already over my max snipe. :p

3. rolexfantastic Apr 16, 2014

It's not those that you bought that remain deep in your mind, but those that you didn't...

Sometimes, after the hunt is over, it feels like a chapter is closed.

TNTwatch likes this.
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 16, 2014

Shakespeare? ;)

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2014

This one still haunts me a bit to be honest...

[​IMG]

So the story was that it was up for auction on the bay, well known seller, and I bid but lost as it went a little high for me at that time. But not long after the sale fell through and it was relisted - I was determined to make this mine, thinking I was very lucky to have a second shot at it. I don't use a sniping program or anything, so had planned to wait late in the auction to place my bid. Of course it totally slipped my mind, and when I remembered, I was 20 minutes too late. Feck! :mad:

I logged in to see that it went for much less than it had on the first auction, and if I had simply entered a bid anywhere near close to what I had the first time, it would likely have been mine.

Still looking for one of these so if anyone has a lead, let me know...

Lesson learned.

Cheers, Al

6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 16, 2014

Been there.
    Al, can you tell us a little more about this
    Birks Eterna that looks Military 40's
    and why it's special for you

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2014

Well, I am not a "collector" in the sense that I have some specific goal in gathering specific watches - for me that seems far too much like work, and since I work on watches all day every day, I really don't need more watch work.

However the one area that I do have sort of a "collection" is military watches. I don't spend hours on end searching eBay for them, but when one pops up that catches my eye I will jump on it. I only have one Canadian issued military watch (the rest are British), and that's a Tudor Submariner I bought directly from the ship's diver who it was issued to. So this being a Birks watch (Birks is a well known retailer in Canada, often referred to as "the Tiffany of Canada") I was certainly interested to have it as my second Canadian issued watch, and I also simply love the shape of the lugs.

Indeed it is a WWII era watch. Every once in a while I'll search for one of these, but they are either in very rough shape, or the sellers want crazy money for them. After making my first post I did find one (maybe incorrect hands on it though), but I'm not going to drop a grand on one of these...

Cheers, Al

citizenrich and TNTwatch like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 16, 2014

If I would have seen it, it would have been mine. I can't give the watch a better endorsement than that.

Box is original, but not sure what is up with that paperwork. Seems to be for Speedmaster Moonwatch. The Ref. 2517 was was 20 years old in 1970.

Here is a similar one in a 1950 Omega catalog:

[​IMG]

As far as Gixen is concerned, I've never had a bid open for more than 10 sec. My understanding is that it takes at least 6 sec. for eBay to recognize a bid, tell you that you've been outbid and for you to manually place another bid. And that is if everything is working at top speed.

In essence, when you use Gixen (or most other snipers), you're placing a sealed bid. If someone else has already locked in a higher bid (whether a snipe or not), it's really not going to matter.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

TNTwatch likes this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 16, 2014

'zackly why I try to buy all the watches.

TNTwatch likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2014

My original tag line: "Your collection isn't complete until you own them ALL!" :p

TNTwatch and UncleBuck like this.
  11. cpl Apr 18, 2014

Why wait til the last second to bid? The way ebay works is you put in your maximum bid, it doesn't mean that's what you'll end up paying. The system keeps you as the winning bidder as long as someone underbids you and if you win you pay 1 tick above the second highest, which could be way below your max. Set and forget!

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 18, 2014

Many bidders get auction fever. They see your "set and forget" bid is higher than their bid, and they rationalize a higher bid until they have outbid you.
    That's why...

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. Mothra Apr 18, 2014

Before I used a sniper, I would often 'go Ashley' to make sure I won an auction; but often over a period of days I could track bidding patterns and see the next highest bidder coming back with new, higher bids again and again. I still won, but it cost me more money every time than if I'd gone in at the last second. Now I snipe every single time.

14. mac_omega Apr 18, 2014

Have you ever heard of shill-bidding?

michael e likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 18, 2014

Which is why I never set a snipe bid for more than I would be willing to pay outside of an auction.

There will always be shills, whether on eBay or at Sotheby's.

gatorcpa

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2014

Exactly.