Forums Latest Members

I have no more Sinns... but I surely enjoyed them all :)

1. George.A Oct 23, 2014

Hi guys,

during the years I've developed a soft spot for German watches in general and Sinn watches in particular. And I was lucky enough to own some of what I consider to be really nice pieces. Even though I've managed to part with all of them in the last couple of months (I'm like a child, the next toy is always more interesting), I've thought I'd share with you some thoughts about them and some pics as well:

My first Sinn was my 103 A SA. Great all round watch, sized just right at 41mm, lovely panda dial and a nice Valjoux 7750 top version. I've had it for around a year, and only parted with it in a trade with a dear friend for an Ebel with cal 137. I was so intrigued by cal 137 (based on Lemania 1340) that I said I have to own one. Needless to say I've traded the Ebel in 2 weeks after I got it, and I got instead a Guinand moonphase (the sapphire caseback is actually signed by mr Helmuth Sinn himself) - this was a nice compensation for my beloved 103 A SA.
    Some pics with it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued...

FRS, arkstfan and Sameh like this.
  2. Hijak Oct 23, 2014

Also a fan of Sinn watches...
    Dial & Strap.JPG
    Sinn 356 Fliegler II

FRS, arkstfan, nlogax and 2 others like this.
  3. jopex Oct 23, 2014

Had these two..

[​IMG]

I really miss 556i, great watch.

George.A, arkstfan and alam like this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 23, 2014

1. Neither do I condemn thee: go, and Sinn no more.
    ~
    ΩF 8:11

George.A, Foo2rama and rhetoric like this.
  5. glennsim Oct 23, 2014

nice sinns.... and I still love mine;

[​IMG]

duc likes this.
  6. George.A Oct 24, 2014

My 2nd Sinn was a 356 Flieger II copper dial. This is the kind of watch you either love or hate, I don't think there's a middle ways with it. I enjoyed a lot wearing it, especially since it's sized at 38mm without the crown. I may have kept it longer, but went out for drinks with a couple watch enthuziasts, and one friend really liked it. The next day, after the hangover passed, we meet and sealed the deal :).
    The watch is still in his collection and everytime we meet I ask him to bring it along. He even bought a stingray leather strap for and it's an interesting mix.

[​IMG]

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2014

That 356 Flieger II in Hijack's post was formally mine - great watch! My wife still has her 456 with blue MOP dial, and she wears it quite often (along with her Nomos Tetra and vintage DJ). Here they are together when we first bought them:

[​IMG]

I've posted these before but here are some shots from the Sinn factory in Frankfurt when I was there last year - this is the showroom and lots of watches to look at there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the service area - I was buying some parts while I was there:

[​IMG]

More from the showroom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the outside:

[​IMG]

I have serviced quite a few Sinn watches, and I am a fan of the brand in many ways. Some of their technologies are a bit gimmicky for me, but overall a well made brand in my experience.

Cheers, Al

George.A, ricardorio, Hijak and 2 others like this.
  8. George.A Oct 24, 2014

The 3rd one was a Sinn 556i. When I got it, the outer AR coating was so bad, that I had to remove it completely. But besides this, it was the kind of watch that goes great in almost every situation (from a beer with the fellows to a meeting room full with guys in suits). The black dial together with German simplicity in design (less is more) resulted in a great watch. Not to mention the 2824 Top version. I traded it to a nice Croatian guy on wus - Hi Jopex :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2014

Did that one have the stained AR coating? I know that Sinn had a run of watches where the coating was not right, and just water drops would stain it like crazy. They did replace those under warranty I think, but taking the coating off is another option for sure.

Cheers, Al

10. George.A Oct 24, 2014

Not sure if it was from that lot, when I got it the AR was lacking small certain pieces of it, while other areas looked like dirty even if I tried to was them.

It's strange because my 103 A SA was the oldest one (I found one guy who owned it back in 2007 and he wasn't the initial owner) but the outer AR was pretty much ok. The 556i was from 2010 (I inquired at Sinn), so not that old at all.

11. Hijak Oct 24, 2014

It is a great watch and I'm thoroughly enjoying it Al, Thanks again.::love:: And I have to mention again how accurate the timekeeping is on this watch!:cool: You're one in a million Al.:thumbsup:

Archer likes this.
  12. speedbird Oct 24, 2014

Used to have a U2 GMT. Fantastic machines

13. George.A Oct 25, 2014

Last but not least, my Sinn 103 klassik. This watch was unveiled at Basselworld in 2012 and it was made as a limited edition of 500 pieces inspired by the racing watches made in the '60-'70 by Helmuth Sinn. It was love at first sight for me, so when I got the chance to get it I went for it full steam ahead. The try-compax look, the black glossy dial together with the panda electroplated sub-dials made it a stunning watch in my opinion. The only thing that bothered me about was its thickness: at 17mm it was a bit too much for me (the 103 A SA was only 14mm and those 3 mm really mattered). Besides the great design, that watch came with a Valjoux 7753 Top version with nice decorations and with Sinn's Ar-Dehumidifying Technology. I know, I'm a desk diver so I'm no where near in a job that would require such technology in my watch, but still it was nice :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to come back later with some pics from my visit to Frankfurt at Sinn's headquarters. And if there are more Sinn owners out there, come on - bring them up :).

FRS and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  14. jopex Oct 27, 2014

Ha.. I knew those pics were familiar.. then I started to read about AR.. nice to see you here too George. :)

15. George.A Jun 21, 2015

Can't help myself, I've Sinned again. This time with a something done by the old man for Bell & Ross, the Bell & Ross Space 2 GMT aka Sinn 144 GMT 40mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else Sinned recently?

FRS and TNTwatch like this.
  16. Flingit1200s Jun 21, 2015

I would love to Sinn in the form of the 103 or the U2......also like the Nomos Orion with the blue hands. Unfortunately the watch budget has a very low balance.

17. vadimo Jun 21, 2015

wow. just learned of this brand, i have to say their watches to do look good, i like most of the The Frankfurt Financial District Watch. series on their website.

18. Ronnie & Sinn Mar 18, 2016

I recently Bought a Sinn 556i second hand for a good price. I am totally excited about this watch. I love tool type watches under 40mm with simple black dials. My other watch is a 1980s 1016 Which cost me an arm and a leg in comparison but which I also love to bits. Two different sorts of watch but the Sinn IMHO is a little piece of class. Nice to have drilled lugs to easy changes straps. Both watches has 20mm lugs which means I can exchange straps. Even though the movement is nothing fancy it's also fun to have a display back. The watch has a very German engineered feeling about it. It's much heavier than my 1016. Sort of like when you pick up grandpas old Karl Zeiss binoculars.

image.jpg
  19. joerg Mar 18, 2016

My first mechanical watch and still one of my favourites.

[​IMG]

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 18, 2016

in general, german watches seem to be (relatively speaking) top-bang-for-the-buck ...

be it Sinn, Nomos, the others from Glashütte o Damasko ... for neither of those you can say they are put together shoddily - quite the opposite!!!

the only thing somewhat "boring" about the Sinns is they use mostly run-of-the-mill movements ... so just looking at the layout of their dials tells you what movement they source ... so there is no REAL incentive to buy them as there are typically 10 other watches that look just the same ...

cheers, Al