Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 17, 2014

Was in another town today and stopped by a pawn shop to peruse the firearms. Saw nothing so idly ran my eyes over the watches in a display case. Initially saw nothing of interest so moved on to look at the musical instruments. On my way out the door, I spied a Speedmaster I hadn't seen a few moments before among the usual run of modern quartz watches.

I should have noted the serial number or some other identifying feature to pass along in this thread. I'll be back through there in 2-3 weeks so will look further if y'all could advise me on what to be on the lookout for.

Looked over the Speedmasters on Ebay this evening to discover this one which appears to be a duplicate example of the one I saw this afternoon.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auth-OMEGA-...757538445?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a9deb2c8dPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The watch had the style hands seen in the watch on the Ebay auction and the same wording on the back. The bracelet was marked Omega and has a model number in the style of "XXX-XXX". The clasp was marked as the one on the watch in the auction link.

The watch appeared to function properly but nothing can be determined in a few minutes time. The case condition was decent and didn't appear polished, based on my observations of Speedmasters featured here on the Forum. The crystal had a deep scratch along a couple of lesser scratches/scuffs across it as if it was swiped along something pretty rough.

I'm guessing that a number of different Speedmaster variants, with widely varying values can look like this. I've been on the Forum for a few months now but haven't absorbed all there is to know about the Speedmaster variants.

Would you be interested in such a Speedmaster under any circumstances and what would you like to get into it for? If I go back and its still there, what should I look for? I wouldn't pay the asking price. They'll have to dicker some as the watch has an unknown history, no box or literature, and has the issue with the crystal. It would have to immediately go off for service if acquired.

2. DocHolliday Dec 17, 2014

When you're looking at the cost of servicing it,you would be better off to pay the extra couple hundred bucks and get a speedy, with the box and papers. I think the time you put into it would end up costing you more than finding a cared for piece thats ready to roll IMHO. Did the tritium hour markers looks discolored? On the Hesalite crystal, you can buff that baby out with some Polywatch. If that doesn't work. The Crystal is cheap to replace. I'm no expert by any means, I'm still learning a ton with my first speedy. I just know when it comes to making decisions like this I always to be on the safe side, and have my bases covered.

If it ends up being a cal. 321. then tell me where the pawn shop is. ::rimshot::.

3. TNTwatch Dec 18, 2014

You could have a photographic memory, but it's still not a photo and we could hardly see what your memory looks like to determine how to like it. ;) And it may not still be there in a few weeks...

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

I'd make sure you're not looking at a Speedmaster reduced, if you don't look at Speedmasters all the time the reduced and the pro can look VERY similar, but the two are very different watches underneath the hood.

SpikiSpikester and Spacefruit like this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 18, 2014

Yes, my first thoughts are its a reduced.

It's not like the pawn shop doesn't have the Internet.

I have bought speed master heads for under 1500 but only by dumb luck and very bad eBay listings.

Oh, and not for three three years. !

6. Georgieboy58 Dec 18, 2014

We have seen cases of pawn shop not using the internet like here, but I have to admit that this was not a speedmaster.
    I also fear that this was a reduced.

7. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 18, 2014

Hi

Cheapest Speedmaster 145.022-69 I ever bought was this one from the Caribbean:

[​IMG]

Needed some work though....but a cracking 'beater'....it was very close to $1400 USD.

Best - Neil

8. esspee1200 Dec 19, 2014

That's one nice watch. Represents how character is attractive.