Forums Latest Members

How I Avoid Bracelet Scratches

1. repoman Sep 23, 2014

I'm a desk diver, which means my bracelet clasps take a beating over time - rubbing on my desktop, laptop, etc.. For many years I've been using a product to protect my clasps, and sometimes my caseback, that far exceeds anything else I've tried. We all know leaving the factory protective stickers on our watches is both useless and looks bad. Instead, I use 3M Scotchguard Film. It's sometimes called "Clear Bra", or "3m Paint Protective Film". Some of you have used it on your cars to protect the paint finish. I first started using this on my motorcycles 15 years ago, and the stuff is amazing: its completely clear, sticks like crazy, easily pulls off without damage, and lasts practically forever. Nobody will even see it. It's around 8mil thick. I've had it on one motorcycle 15 years and it looks the same as the day I applied it.

A guy on EbayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network sells 3" x 3" squares for $3, which is perfect for wrist watch applications. Sure, you can buy larger rolls, but you'll never use it all.

I cut a piece to fit my clasp, stick it on, then trim it with an exacto. I also apply a 3" square to the top of my laptop case where my wrist naturally lays for anytime I'm wearing a watch without the film.

[​IMG]
    JCF-Omega-1000291.jpg JCF-Omega-1000290.jpg

2. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2014

Well, you could leave your watch in the box and never wear it..... that would certainly avoid scratches.

DocHolliday likes this.
  3. repoman Sep 23, 2014

I realize I'm going to get some less than enthusiastic responses. I'm sure there have already been a few ::facepalm2:: , and a few ::puke:: But, I think there are a few other anal retentives out there like me, who figure: why gratuitously scratch up your clasp if you don't have to, especially titanium.

I'm all for adding "character" to a watch over time... take it for what its worth, which is about $2.75 :D

AuBuyer and rhetoric like this.
  4. JohnSteed Sep 23, 2014

brill

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 23, 2014

I think it's a great idea for those who prefer to keep their watches in pristine condition for as long as possible. And believe me, you have plenty of company in that regard!

In fact, IMO you are well within the boundaries of what passes for rational behavior in the WIS world.

There are limits however....please...don't cross the line.
    image.jpg

Nathanwatch, Mad Dog, jopex and 7 others like this.
  6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 23, 2014

vadimo likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2014

There was a guy from TimeZone who covered his watch in some sort of transparent glue as a protective shell.... ::screwloose::

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2014

He probably wore two condoms, just to be sure!

If it's not a daily wearer, don't wear it for Chris'sakes!

9. GrouchoM Sep 23, 2014

It reminds me of the plastic wrapped couch at my grandmother's house back in the mid 1970's.

tpatta likes this.
  10. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 24, 2014

caseback sticker is all i go with.
    (unfortunately, they are a little stubborn sticking to raised logos)
    the bracelets are easily refinished
    with scotchbrite

11. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Sep 24, 2014

Being anal retentive is knowing that there is no hyphen between it! Buy two bracelets, one to wear & one to never use. ::bleh::

12. yande Sep 24, 2014

I just want to know why? Resale value? Perfectionsism?
    For what it's worth, I even drive my car on dirt roads!

13. gnome666 Sep 24, 2014

I'm with you on this one repoman. If there's a "reasonable" way to prevent scratches, then I say why not. I wish thoughts about this would go into the original design, i.e why make polished center links? Driving me nuts with my new AT, but I resolved to say f-it and let the bracelet get scratched to high heaven. I just wish that the replacement bracelets didn't cost more than in an get a decent microbrand watch but, meh.

14. gnome666 Sep 24, 2014

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2014

Ah yes, the infamous "Elmers' glue" solution...some days I miss TZ....okay not really.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2014

It's not just the clasp that gets damaged by desk diving. On watches that are older and worn quite a bit, I can tell if the person wears it on their left or right wrist based on how the top surfaces of the bracelet links are worn...

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 24, 2014

does anyone else find that modern omega clasps are much more prone to scuffs and scratches than their vintage ones?
    is the stainless steel softer these days?

18. msp1518 Sep 24, 2014

My PreBond Seamaster's clasp scratches just from looking at it. Oh well. Whatever.

For the record, i don't find any fault with someone protecting their clasp.