Forums Latest Members
  1. timeismoney Oct 26, 2014

Hi Ash,

Just so you know, the replacement bridge is un-branded and in stainless steel and totally looks sterile. I am not at home now but I can send you a picture when I get back later this week. Thanks to a fellow member's tip off, I got one that is from the original movement.

Tritium likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2014

Oh wow that's certainly not what you'd expect, glad you found a proper one in the end

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. John R Smith Oct 26, 2014

I' m sorry now that I recommended this bridge. Cousins did not indicate in their listing that this was a pattern or generic part rather than an original Omega item, which they usually do when this is the case (with certain mainsprings and setting lever springs, for example). So that is really a bit naughty on their part - I hope that you have made them aware of the problem?

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 26, 2014

It may just be what Omega issue as a replacement these days. Is cracking of the bridge a not uncommon problem with the 321? To me, it seems an odd part to fail as it isn't exactly under stress.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2014

Omega doesn't issue a replacement for this - as I noted above this part is no longer available from Omega, so I don't think they supplied this part to Cousins. I suspect Cousins have used a generic part to fill this order. Maybe the OP can show us a photo, and indicate what the package looked like that it came in - if it was Omega packaging it should say so.

Personally I can't ever recall seeing this bridge cracked like the photo in this thread shows, so this isn't exactly a common failure in my view anyway.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. timeismoney Oct 26, 2014

No worries, John. I am grateful for your help!

7. timeismoney Oct 29, 2014

Hello,

here is a pic of the Cousins bridge with its original packaging:
    image.jpg

8. John R Smith Oct 30, 2014

Thanks very much for the photo. This is very puzzling - here we have a 320/321 part which is discontinued and not available from Omega, and which Al (Archer) has never seen damaged or broken before in his extensive experience. Bridges like this don't wear out, because you can replace the jewels if needed. And a fracture such as yours must be extremely rare. Nonetheless it would seem that Cousins (or their supplier) must have gone to all the trouble and expense of getting a pattern (repro) part made for which there can be virtually zero demand ::confused2::

9. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 30, 2014

Can it be old stock Lemania? They did make all of the 320/321 movements and loads was not guilt for other labels.

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2014

[​IMG]Ah, I've seen this before, you ordered the standard bridge. They sent you the OME3201013-P edition, the presentation bridge.

imassge.jpg

watchyouwant, Tritium and Stewart H like this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 30, 2014

Steve. You are far too good with Photoshop.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2014

Most certainly not original Omega packaging, or an Omega bridge. Most likely a Lemania part.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. timeismoney Oct 30, 2014

i will send this to you and you can engrave that in for me :p

14. Omegafanman Mar 17, 2023

So I was at Swiss Time (STS) and Tony had a look at the new Ed White (and seemed impressed) aside from the plating it it a like for like scanned copy. Does that mean Omega will supply the bridge again / that part is no longer obsolete for a vintage 321?

15. Evitzee Mar 17, 2023

I don't think Omega is supplying any parts from the new 321 to anyone for use in vintage 321s. That's one of the advantages of a new 321, they'll be parts available for it for many years. Vintage ones, very few.

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Omegafanman Mar 17, 2023

I know it opens another can of worms but if a vintage watch was sent to Omega I guess they would then source a bridge if it was needed now they are making them again?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2023

No. Despite apparent promises made by Omega when the new 321 was announced, and repeated assertions stated here that this new 321 would open up access to spare parts for everyone, that hasn't happened, and I very much doubt it will. The reason is simple - Omega has invested millions in marketing a rather bog standard chronograph movement of the time as something so special that only a few "special" watchmakers can even touch it. This, despite the fact that watchmakers all over the planet (including in Bienne) service them regularly. So they aren't going to spoil their carefully curated mythology by starting to sell parts again, knowing that there are plenty of competent watchmakers around who can service the movement.

The decision not to sell these isn't technical, it's marketing.

Note that some 321 parts are used in other calibers, like the 861/1861. Those have always been available and still are, and are even marked as 321B parts now. So when I buy new third wheels for the 861/1861's I service, the part number is 7220321B30025...

I have never heard of Omega turning away a vintage 321 for service due to lack of parts to repair it. The reality is, they have been making and have had these parts all along. But when they decided to pull back all 321's to Bienne for servicing, they stopped selling them to all their own remote service centers and approved watchmakers around the world. So when anyone looks up the part on the Omega Extranet, it is shown as "no longer available" but the guys at Bienne servicing the vintage 321's can simply walk to a drawer and pull a new one out any time they need to. That's not going to change I suspect, in particular now that 321 parts are likely being made in even greater volumes that before.

18. Arancio601 Mar 17, 2023

So, omega certified watchmakers can order pretty much any omega parts that are still available from Bienne except 321 specific parts? In 10-15 years when this new round of 321’s get ‘old’ it will be interesting to see what Omega do in regards to parts availability.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2023

Omega makes certain calibers "Bienne only" so those only have very limited parts are available for them for people outside of Bienne to purchase. Often these parts are also used on calibers that are not restricted to Bienne, so they allow those to be purchased.

There are several parts from the 321 that are used in subsequent calibers, and those are all available. But even some that aren't are still available.

For the 321, all the screws are available, as well as all the jewels and bushings. The mainspring is available (different from the 861), and even the pillar wheel (what people here would call the column wheel) is available.

Omegafanman and Arancio601 like this.