Forums Latest Members

How did the madness start?

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 8, 2014

You would be hooked for life if your first drug is Connie Deluxe.

NT931 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 8, 2014

Straight on the hard stuff..

citizenrich likes this.
  3. repoman Oct 8, 2014

Similar story here, Grandfather's 1967 Speedmaster came down to me when I was around 30 years old. Before that were many forgettable quartz beauties, mostly Swiss Army and the like. Speedy sat in a box for a long time, I'd wear it rarely, but didn't really know anything about it, and didn't really "get it". Something clicked in me a year ago and I started learning everything I could, and tumbled down the rabbit hole all of you have been down. I now own several Speedmasters, and some others, but the '67 Speedy is my fave, and if I could only keep one watch, it would be that one. It just came back from the spa (thanks Al) and I love it more now than ever before.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Charilaos Oct 9, 2014

Well, ALL started many years ago (starting my memories time) with my father's wristwatch. The below one and the first one fully restored.
    [​IMG]

citizenrich, Gavin and Privateday7 like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 9, 2014

These are all very cool stories to read.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. persco Oct 9, 2014

In 1977 (I was 8), I became obsessed with those red LED digital watches and started agitating for my parents to get one for me. My mother said she wouldn't buy me a digital watch until I could tell the time on a "face" watch. I thought she was crazy. But I went and learned because I wanted that digital watch. Until I didn't. I started to really like analog watches. That was when it started for me. I have loved watches ever since. My first mechanical was my grandfather's gold Elgin pocket watch (which I lost after carrying it daily for a couple of years). I then went through a few Swatches in the '80s, and a few other other quartz pieces - too many to remember. In 1995 my father bought me a vintage WWI trench watch. I had asked for that as a university graduation gift after seeing it in a vintage watch store in Vancouver. From then on I have loved mechanicals exclusively.

Here's the digital watch I wanted. I never got one, though...

[​IMG]

And this is the trench watch. I never wear it, but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Not worth much, but it still runs great, surprisingly... I don't have a photo of my grandfather's pocket watch.

[​IMG]

Years later it's all led to this, my latest two:

[​IMG]

yande and Taddyangle like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 9, 2014

I sold my watchco SM300, big mistake. I also had a vintage SM300, but the dial had been re-lumed (seller had no idea) so I returned it, big mistake given it was $1250 (almost 2 years ago).

persco likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Oct 9, 2014

That IS the watch I had about that time - I was 11. Pressed that button so often I wore the battery out in a couple weeks.

persco likes this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 11, 2014

For me I guess it starts with memories of me admiring the watch on my Dad's wrist. Its about 1965 and I remember being in the living room of our house in Sioux Lookout, Ontario (to f***ing far up the North American map) and admiring my Dad's Omega,bought for him by my Mom in the fifties. A gold filled, waffle faced Omega Century. He's still got it and it still looks great, although it stopped about two years ago and he's done nothing about it because the quartz piece of poo my brother bought him is so easy on his 90 year old eyes. I'll get it's 30mm movement going again one day.

persco likes this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 11, 2014

This is the one that started it all for me, still have it.

Knew absolutely nothing about vintage watches but did OK, way before there were forums like this.

IMG_1628.JPG

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2014

This is the one that started it for me - my first decent watch - bought new in about 1987:

DSC00677.jpg

Gavin and Mothra like this.
  12. Father Goose Oct 16, 2014

Years back, I saw a giant ad for this:

[​IMG]

...I didn't stand a chance. I've been helplessly hooked ever since.

13. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2014

Yeah, it's easy to see why. That's a friggin' awesome watch. ::love::

14. roach7 Oct 16, 2014

My first real watch was a Seamaster chrono... then there's no stopping after that

15. yande Oct 17, 2014

I found this pic not all that long ago, amongst the couple of thousand of my Dad's slides I was scanning for him. It assured me I was always a WIS. Circa 1974 I'd guess.

0250_136.JPG

My next horologically remembered event was about 12 months into my first full time job, Rural Bank, Kings Cross! now that is a contradiction... In 1977 I paid $120 for a S/S auto Chronograph that started with Z... I'm happy I am not sure of its full name, for I don't know where it is now.

For the next 20 to 30 years, I lusted over watches, but just could not afford, or had priorities. Later I ended up wearing this Ripcurl 24/7 for near on 10 years.

Rip Curl SS 17534_IMG_0850.JPG

At least it did have 1 jewel, in a movement that is about a quarter the size of the watch. Talk about void space.
    Alas, I only touched it twice a year, to change the time at the beginning and end of daylight saving, plus 2 or 3 batteries..

Rip Curl SS 17534_IMG_0630.JPG

Then, in May 2010, a light bulb flickered into being. "I could afford that watch I always wanted!"

Along came this,

Tag Heuer 1500 2 Tone_IMG_0809.JPG

and not long after, as the habit, (it's the first one that does the damage) hit.

IMG_8274.JPG

Some of those have since left, but then there are the Heuers and my Pam that smartly took up that space in the box..

I've no complaints. I'm slowly progressing with a screwdriver, and learning how to make friends here and not alienate myself. But, hey, it's a great hobby, one that I feel very fortunate to be able to partake in.

Hence, my troubles are definitely First world, and for me, that is worth remembering...

IMG_8371.JPG
  16. DocHolliday Oct 25, 2014

dennisthemenace, Who needs to own the new "Moon watch Only" book when we could just all consult you. Impressive collection!

17. agee Nov 10, 2014

saw an old movie with a character wearing a rectangular tank watch-Gruen Curvex-I had to have one in 14K gold
    graduated to Omegas and then to military watches-haven't looked back and enjoying the ride
    just wish my friends would notice the spectacular and rare watches I wear to our functions

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 10, 2014

Interesting that only very few people care about our watches, don't they?
    At first I was surprised, then realize....it is I who has problem....not them :D

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 10, 2014

I always looked at my late brothers VERY extensive watch collection thinking he was out of his mind, He was a pilot (one of theRd Bull Air race guys) she had all the watches a Pilot with money would have: Rolex,IWC, Brietling, Bell&Ross and more and more and more. My father had a couple of good pieces to my knowledge but I just had a Tag Heuer and a couple of swatch watches and for years didn't wear a watch...then my father passed and I got his watches, One antique Waltham from his gradfather, a Genta that he hated, a Bell&Ross he loved an IWC and 2 Baume&Mercier (one being his everyday watch...and I got the bug. Both my brother and father passed within one year from each other so I think watches was my way to cope...something we could all relate to. So now I have about 26 Solid watches. Including 5 IWC(2 vintage a Portofino a Pilot and a portuguese Chrono, Omegas (3+1 coming), 3 Baume&Mercier, The Genta, 2 Panerai a couple of Antiques....too many. I slowed down but I always find THAT piece that I have to have.

20. i20rider Nov 10, 2014

20140716_184626_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20140407_201446.jpg

All started when I was thinking about getting a new watch to replace a citizen echo drive that I have had for year. Me and my little bro were eating breakfast at the grandparents and telling my grandfather my plans to get a new watch.

He said " no need to buy a watch when I got a cigar box full in the closet. Go find you one you like" dug these out ^^^

Nobel Prize likes this.