Forums Latest Members

How did my watch get so badly magnetized?

1. Cal 1345 Nov 18, 2014

My son has a Seiko automatic diver that was keeping bad time so my local watch guy (same guy who later broke of screw in my dads Omega quartz) sent it off to be repaired. When it came back it was much, much worse (30 min fast every 4 hours). Fast forward to a month or so ago, talking to a more reputable watch guy about my dads Omega and the Seiko came up. He said bring it to me and I'll look at it. He de-magnetized it for no charge and now it's running like a top but he said it could easily happen again. What causes this, how did my watch get so badly magnatized? I can't think of any scenario that would be that much of an exposure. Thanks,

2. davidswiss Nov 18, 2014

I don't think it would be easy in the normal everyday life of a watch. I was told that high altitude flying and being near electric motors were the most likely candidates when I had a problem a few years ago.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 18, 2014

I think some computers and appliances? maybe The Seiko is stored on top of some appliance?, Speakers?

Another possible scenario...your son is an MRI technician?

4. Cal 1345 Nov 18, 2014

No, not a MRI tech. We can't really think of the cause. I've cautioned him about where he stores. I just thought someone here may have run into this . Thanks for input.

5. Dengar Nov 18, 2014

Magnetic clasps on laptops and bags/purses, studio speakers, money clips, etc. They're in more places than you think

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2014

Have you recently come back from a vacation trip to Genève and traveled over the Large Hadron Collider :unsure:
    Ya never know what mischief those wandering Higgs Bozon's are up to :cautious:

7. Cal 1345 Nov 18, 2014

is this a common problem for all automatics or is the Seiko more susceptible since it's a less expensive watch?

8. Dengar Nov 18, 2014

AFAIK any unprotected mechanical can have these issues. That is what makes Milgauss and AT >15,000 Gauss so cool.

9. Mothra Nov 19, 2014

Dengar is right - the iPad cases have strong rare earth magnets and can magnetize a watch very quickly. Maybe it was sat near something similar while being shipped back to the watch dealer....

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 19, 2014

My mother has a watch that keeps on getting magnetised. I think I have narrowed it down to being either her laptop or an induction hob.

11. Mothra Nov 19, 2014

:unsure:
    Stewart, I have a huge induction hob. Its not magnetised any of mine yet, but thanks for giving me something else to worry about...

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 19, 2014

Better let Mrs. Mothra do all the cooking - just to be safe ;)

Seriously though, I think women's watches are more susceptible because of the lack of thickness of the case and the smaller/lighter nature of the parts in the movement.

13. centennial Nov 19, 2014

Can happen to any mechanical watch without shielding. Magnets are every where..just buy a demagnetizer off eBay? Will save a trip to the watchmaker every time a watch gets magnetized. Which is why I feel anti magnetic shielding or movement is more useful than thousands of meters of water resistance...

14. Mothra Nov 20, 2014

I would let Mrs mothra do all the cooking, but I really want to live. Last thing she cooked was beans on toast and she murdered that. I'm pretty sure she does it on purpose.

15. chickenman26 Nov 20, 2014

We really do need to keep our wits about us when wearing manual watches. Last week without thinking, I turned on a small battery charger while wearing my SMP300. The next day, I noticed the watch was gaining considerably more than it had been. Five seconds with a small ebay demagnetizer brought it back to its previous accuracy level.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 20, 2014

BTW, I recently De-magnetized a watch just using

this Neodymium-Magnets-900x900.jpg and this dewrdc970k-2r.jpg

17. Pvt-Public Nov 20, 2014

Will an old cassette tape eraser work?

18. KIMBER Dec 23, 2014