Forums Latest Members

Homemade Conquest Crown – will it work?

1. Pahawi Jul 21, 2014

Thanks - we'll see what happen.

Case is solid gold, so....:)

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2014

Truly impressive - I'm staggered.:thumbsup:

3. Pahawi Oct 18, 2014

Well, finally got the watch back from the UK yesterday. I’m very happy with the result and what a great and fun tour it’s been too. According to Christian (WatchGuy), it was no biggie to lathe down a standard crown, to fit my homemade one. Next was the gold plating, so I contacted Stuart (Mothra), who offered his assistance earlier in this thread. And what a great guy he is. Not only once, but twice (second time because of an error from my side) did he use his time, skills and money on this project, and although I’ve tried very hard to be allowed to pay for his great work, Stuart won’t let me. Simply amazing. Thanks again Stuart :thumbsup: And a thanks to OF too, for making it possible to run into such help.

Here’s some pics, and as usual from me, just Iphone quality, but even if I had a better camera, and better camera skills, I think it would still be hard taking good pics of that shiny thingy :)
    OF2.JPG OF3.JPG OF4.JPG OF5.JPG OF1.JPG

Comments, good as well as bad, welcome :)

PS. The crystal w/ magnifier over date will be swapped with the current one later.

Paul

Edited Jun 17, 2018
    micampe, JohnSteed, barmy and 8 others like this.
  4. dragoman Oct 18, 2014

W-O-W ! ! !

What an amazing job have you done!!! It was really amazing before watching the final result, but now...

now I am speechless. It is probably better than anything NOS that could be found (wishful thinking, anyway) anywhere, and sure miles better and more faithful to the original than anything Swatch Group would make today, if they could be bothered to make the effort.

Well, and appart of being speechless, I am also owner of this beauty with that.... thing.

Conquest 291.JPG

I have been trying to find something to get rid of that monstrosity, to no avail, so here I am, cap in hand, begging for one of those, if at all possible.

I'll send you a PM later.

5. ulackfocus Oct 18, 2014

That's one hell of an end result! ::jumpy:: Might have to order one from you.

6. Tritium Oct 18, 2014

Congrats Paul,
    That's an amazing result.
    Looks beautiful :thumbsup:

7. alam Oct 18, 2014

Impressive! looks awesome! now we know where to send our requests for crown builds!

8. Pahawi Oct 18, 2014

Thanks guys :)

In regard to those wanting one - I'll be glad to help members here, and at no charge for my own hours used, and I'll also offer to do the milling for only, what it'll cost me to have the machine running, but even then, I’m afraid you’ll say that’s too much for just a crown part. But as said, I'd be glad to help, so feel free to contact me, and I'll check the milling hours used and do the math :)

Thanks again.

Paul

9. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 19, 2014

Fabulous job!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2014

Hi Paul,

Great work first of all - very fiddly design and you did a great job reproducing it. Just one caution about selling these...keep in mind that Longines is a company that still exists under the Swatch group, and if they find you are making and selling parts with their logo on them, you might have some problems.

If you think that these companies don't know about these forums, think again. A very recent phone call and letter I received from Swatch group about some things I have posted here tells me they know all about these forums...

Proceed with caution would be my advice.

Cheers, Al

11. Pahawi Oct 19, 2014

Thanks Al :thumbsup:

And thank you for reminding me of the Logo issues - I'll keep that in mind. I believe it's ok as long as it's for my own watches, right? :)

Hope you get well soon.

Paul

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2014

Thanks - feeling pretty good these days. I think if you are making these for your own watches, there should not be a big problem - selling to others, even at cost or less, might be a problem though. However I am no lawyer - just a guy who's been on the receiving end of this kind of thing (although not for the same reasons this would be about).

Cheers, Al

Pahawi likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Oct 19, 2014

Hmmm, I wonder how big the issue is since it's a 40-ish year old part that Longines no longer supplies? I get the logo thing, but Paul is making a part that Longines has long since discontinued. Not arguing either way, just sort of typing a random thought on the subject.

14. Mothra Oct 19, 2014

Paul, I think it looks brilliant. The workmanship on your crown was incredible, and close up, has to be sharper than a cast/gold filled original. Christian also did a great job sleeving the threaded part for you...

15. bill5959 Oct 19, 2014

The remaking depends on how much time the lawyers have on their hands. It is a counterfeit part and I would be careful to do it beyond your private use. Lawyers have to make a living :D Regards. Bill

16. Pahawi Oct 20, 2014

Thanks Stuart - your workmanship added to it too :thumbsup:

Yes, great work from Christian too. It was the first time I used him and it’s been a great pleasure dealing with him. I’ll for sure use him again.

Paul