Forums Latest Members
  1. bryan87 Apr 23, 2014

Hi, I'm Bryan.

I have always been a fan of Omega. I have been a fan ever since 2007 when someone I used to work with introduced me to his 'replica' Omega. I don't remember the model but that wasn't important at the time as I wasn't a watch guy...so I wasn't too sure what I was looking at anyway.

So this guy showing me his 'replica' (I hate using that word to describe a watch!) essentially got me into Omega watches. I was thinking at the time it looked pretty cool and if that was the replica then the real thing must be even better! And then I was hooked.

I never did get one though. They were and still are just out my price range for a watch. However, I did recently inherit my grandfathers 1960's Omega Seamaster! How cool is that? I was totally stunned when my dad showed me the watch. An Omega?! I kept saying.

So here it is.

[​IMG]

Pretty neat. It has seen better days. It was stored in a shoe box with other possessions for a number of years and I imagine it was worn everyday since new. My grand father, a sailor, purchased this as a young seaman shortly after joining the merchant navy.

Here are some more photos.

[​IMG]
    (The markings on the glass are glue from the tape that was wrapped round the watch to hold the crown in place)
    [​IMG]

I am currently awaiting for the watch to be returned from a service...and a restoration. Now, apologies in advance, I took it to Omega to get it restored. I didn't even think to look online to see what was recommended.

I chose to go for the restoration rather that just a service and a clean up for a few reasons:

- My failmy love restorations. So it's the right thing to do in that sence.
    - All the replaced parts will be sent back to me so I will still have all the original pieces of the watch to keep.
    - I don't see it as erasing the history of the watch...it's more like I'm creating a bit of space to add myself and my own history to the watch.
    - I'm not interested in the cash value being damaged because it's no longer original. It's not going to be sold. Ever.
    - And the main reason, I'd say it was beyond repair. It was pretty damaged according to the Omega quotation. If you can take that as gospel.

Can anyone tell me what the original box would have looked like and what literature would have came with the watch when new?

2. Jimmy Jim Apr 23, 2014

Great story and welcome to the family!

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 23, 2014

Hi Bryan,
    Great story and great watch! Think of the travels that timepiece shared with Grandpa.

While as collectors, we don't share the same goals completely as you do regarding restoration, screw us !

Please share photos when the restoration is finished and when you decide to further your love of Omega's (You are doomed, 1 heirloom+ Omega interest+Omegaforums =1 enthusiastic, expensive hobby) ask questions (first!) and visit here often, as decisions you make can have major impact as to value and liquidity (desirability by others expressed in a financial term).

We would have advised keeping it original with minimal service. However, we are not you, are we?

Please set an avatar. Perhaps Grandpa's watch?

4. speedbird Apr 23, 2014

Fantastic story !

5. dan7800 Apr 23, 2014

Welcome! Your story is like many of ours with inheriting a watch and starting from there.

6. bryan87 Apr 24, 2014

Thanks for the kind replies.

I will keep you up to date with pictures when the watch is returned. It may be some time though judging by some posts on here.

7. bryan87 May 11, 2014

I've received the watch back from Omega. I thought it would take a lot longer.

I'll get straight to a picture.

Omega Seamaster 3.jpg

As previously mentioned I asked Omega to carry out an assessment of the watch and to provide me with a quote for a service in order for the watch to be used. It was in an awful state.

They have done such an amazing job.

I'm going to write up a few paragraphs about how good it looks, the service at omega, the history of the watch and what I plan on doing with the watch now.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a post that gives tips on how to take good photographs of watches?

Bryan

Lessismore, citizenrich, Apa and 2 others like this.
  8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 11, 2014

You have definately done the right thing in getting it restored. Given the state it was in before it was unwearable. Now you have a as new watch that will last many years. You must be chuffed to bits.

bryan87 likes this.
  9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 11, 2014

That looks great! What a wonderful family heirloom.

Well done!

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 11, 2014

Great result on a watch that truly deserved it. Thanks for sharing! And to our mothers on Mother's Day, thanks for spelling Bryan with a Y ;)

11. Hijak May 11, 2014

What a transformation!:thumbsup:

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 11, 2014

Really nice! And I'm even more amazed at the turnaround time.

13. bryan87 May 13, 2014

I was told it would take 3-6 months. After reading different posts on this forum I then realised it may take up to 9 months.

It only took five weeks! Amazing.