Forums Latest Members
  1. hrrer Apr 27, 2014

I inherited this Heuer Autavia. It is probably from 1963. Could someone tell me which model is it and how much is it worth?
    [​IMG]

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 27, 2014

That looks like an early 2446 Autatvia with the big sub dials. Hands look like they have been changed as they should be dauphine hands. Don't know enough to comment more. You may want to seek the opinions of the Heuer folks in the Heuer forum. They should be able to help you.
    http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/

3. marturx Apr 27, 2014

1. Awesome watch!
    2. Very valuable, surely you will be very (positively) surprised when you find it out. Vintage Heuer, and particularily your model, is on the rise
    3. If you plan to sell it, don't do ANYTHING to it. I'm sure the buyer, which will likely be a collector, will want to take care of that himself.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 27, 2014

It is an Autavia ref 2446 with the 1st execution dial, which is particularly rare. The hands are replacements from later models, as Gavin noted. The value is difficult to establish, as not many change hands, and the price is particularly labile right now. A two-dial version with correct hands recently sold at auction for USD25,000. Now, that was an extraordinary result, as previously these changed hands in the USD3000-6000 range, and not enough time has elapsed to determine whether this was an aberration or a breakout for the values of this model. I favor the former - it was a crazy price.

According to Rich Crosthwaithe (http://www.heuerpriceguide.com/#/autavia-60s/4561090754), this would sell for about GBP5000 with correct hands. You'll want to discount a bit for the hands.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 27, 2014

Just to give you a ballpark. One of these early examples sold in an informal auction on OTD for $13.5k just this March.

6. hrrer Apr 27, 2014

Thanks for the answers.

I actually replaced the wristband (is it even worth anything) because it was worn out but I still have the original so it shouldn't be any problem.

I don't actually know about the hands. I could try to ask granny.

So do you think the value is rising all the time?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 27, 2014

If the wristband is shot, don't worry about it. If you have the steel bracelet by Gay Freres somewhere around, then that has substantial worth.

The value is certainly rising.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 27, 2014

Keep the wristband and include it in any sale (now or future)

As to the question about rising prices - if any of us knew that, we'd be working for the treasury on a massive salary.

9. marturx Apr 27, 2014

Yeah, right. Compared to vintage Porsches, watches has been a really lousy investment so far.

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 27, 2014

.... but who knows if the bubble might burst?

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 27, 2014

shhhh...don't mention "bubble" now that I'm this deep in vintage watches

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 27, 2014

You aren't the only one, but some of us are more heavily committed than others.;)

Northernman likes this.
  13. marturx Apr 27, 2014

Nothing bad that will not bring something good with it too. When the bubble bursts, it will be fun to buy watches again :)

Gavin likes this.
  14. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur May 7, 2014

Amazing watch which is both rare and sought after. The heuer price guide needs an update (note to RC). You would have limbs bitten off at GBP5000. The problem is that so few change hands that pricing is anyone’s guess. The one referred to above that sold for $13.5k was a 2nd execution. This is a 1st execution so most likely worth more and would achieve more in an auction situation even tough the hands are not correct.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

JohnSteed likes this.