Forums Latest Members

Help with watch shopping in Italy and France

1. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 27, 2014

Off to Florence, Parma and Paris in a couple of weeks. Can any members offer some insight on looking for Omegas in these cities? Don't want to go to the Omega Boutiques. I found listing for ADs in all three cities and will be checking them out, but am wondering if "pawn shops" exist in these cities.
    If anyone has had dealings with any watch shops in these cities I would love your input. Particularly interested in Speedy Moons and old Connies.

BTW, I know the BEST place for watches is right here on the forum. :cool: Hoping to find a gem or two out there.

2. silviogo Oct 27, 2014

3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 27, 2014

When in Rome - Do as the Romans do ;-)
    [​IMG]

TNTwatch and tpatta like this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 27, 2014

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 27, 2014

Lookin' good MikiJ.
    Been there several times. Always painful, but worth it.

6. alam Oct 27, 2014

The shock and awe of the Euro exchange rate against the USD does strange things to the value of watches on that side of the Atlantic. :-( and then, there's evil VAT. Let us know where and if you find good buys over there! Im sure you will enjoy the pasta, wine and espresso!

7. TLIGuy Oct 28, 2014

I have recently moved to Italy and found that the vintage watch market is pretty slim pickings in Firenze and Rome.

Three weeks ago I was in Firenze for the long weekend and did a little searching for vintage watch shops and didn't have much luck. Most of what I found there was new along the Ponte Vecchio bridge, as you would expect, and depending on when you are there they are all closed on Sunday. I did find the Omega Boutique there to be nice but their inventory of Moon watches was pretty slim. They did however have the new 45th anniversary model on hand which was nice because I had not seen it before.

If you are into watch spotting Firenze was great. I saw plenty on Rolex and more Pepsi GMT's in one day than I ever could on the Rolex forums. I also saw three Speedmasters as well.

My big score from the trip was wandering into an open air fleemarket and finding this little piece for a a couple Euro.

imagejpg1_zps32a82b56.JPG

Be prepared for taking lots of wrist shots standing at coffee bars in Italy as well.

IMG_4632_zps47fc48b5.JPG

If nothing else, enjoy the trip and the sights. Firenze and Rome are two beautiful cites not to be missed trying to find watch shops.

IMG_4800_zpsbb513aad.JPG

Alpha likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

There is no such thing in Italy as a short train ride! The trains are notorious for belong late and are shit holes!

Lived in Monaco for 3 years and went to Milan several times by train... 3 hours my arse!

9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 28, 2014

I've been to Italy many times, just never went actively looking for watches. My wife is not as thrilled with Omegas as I am. To her it's "just a watch". To which I say "well, those are just shoes....and purses....and, well you get the idea. Thought I might troll the back streets for something but probably will have better luck here. ;) Looking forward to the food and wine as always.

DLT222, knocking the Italian railway system? Remember I am Italian and know where you live. :taunt:

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

tpatta oh shit - packs bags and flees for airport!

tpatta likes this.
  11. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 28, 2014

Thanks to all for your input. I'll let you know if I find any stores worth a look for members traveling in the near future.
    silviogo, thanks for the heads up on Vincenza. I was planning a day ride out to Verona, guess I'll stay on the train another couple of stops and check out SORELLE RONCO.

12. silviogo Oct 28, 2014

In italy the pawn shop simply does not exist....not like in USA. You could find many "gold pawn shops" where they buy/sell gold and maybe some gold watches...but usally avoid this shops the products the bought/sell came from "incert" provenience....
    The train situation in italy is not terrible as descibed, Difference from USA in Italy with train you can reach any small village, it's a capillar service, ofcourse the small lines are the slower one...but you are on holiday...so take it easy.
    Sorelle Ronco, is a multi-brand shops but with really good prices on new items. vicenza from verona it's only 50km, so you can reach easilly by train in short time.

Good suggestion is to find local flea market, and try to look around...may be you are lucky.

13. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 28, 2014

Forgot about the flea markets. There is a great one in Lucca. I will look for others before I leave. I agree with you regarding the trains.
    Hi-Speed are great. Inter City just take a little longer.
    silviogo, are you in Vicenza? Would be happy to meet for an Aperol if you have the time.

14. silviogo Oct 28, 2014

tpatta...Nope I live in TORINO (FIAT- juventus fc - robe di kappa- 2006winter olympic games, martini), if you have the opportunity to spent some day in Torino I'll happy to offer a Martini too ;-). where are you came from?

15. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 28, 2014

Living in Los Angeles. I am in Italy 3-4 times a year, usually Firenze and Roma. I have a cousin in Torino, but have not seen them in many years. I would enjoy a Martini in Torino. I will stay in touch.

16. silviogo Oct 28, 2014

I've been in LA last year, I have couple of friends in LA and some in SF bay area. This summer i stay in east cost and florida. But I love Californi and I return as soon as I can. If you have the opportunity to bring me some speedy....;-) in US the price are really lower than here in europe!

tpatta likes this.
  17. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 28, 2014

I will see what I can do for you.:)

18. ryanpatrick Oct 29, 2014

I am going to Paris next week and was directed to this shop by a friend who is French and knows quite a lot about watches.
    http://adm-horloger.com
    I am hoping to drop in to the shop and will report back what I find.

19. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 30, 2014

Thanks ryanpatrick, I'll be in Paris the last week of November. I'll check them out.

20. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Oct 30, 2014

Antoine de Macedo. A big name but very very high prices and not always the warmest welcome. Same thing for the famous shops like Romain Re and MMC (Montres Modernes et de Collection). INteresting places if you have a lot of money and no time/knowledge to look elsewhere.

I would recommend to go to Charly 10 rue Godot de Mauroy. 75009 PARIS. Tél : +33.1.40.06.94.64, certainly not the biggest stock but sure the best in terms of friendliness, competence, and reasonnable prices. He his the one for whom I have the greatest respect among vintage watch sellers in Paris. Close to Charly, you can go to Cresus, 9 Rue du Chevalier de Saint-George, 75008 Paris, tel +33.1 40 20 16 84, a bigger shop with second hand and vintage top brand famous models. I also like to go to Landauer, 154 Rue du Temple, 75003 Paris.

nickw and tpatta like this.