Forums Latest Members

Help with picking the right Speedy Pro

1. kidamazo Jul 27, 2014

Hello friends-- so I have been posting, emailing and otherwise searching for my first Speedmaster Professional. But I realize I forgot to ask an important question. As a newbie, and as this would be my first watch, should I try to stay within certain year or model? I had originally wanted something from the 70s but realized that might be too risky. I am now really hoping to find something from 1988, a very important year for me personally. Would something around then or thereabouts be a better way to go? Or as a first time buyer, should I try with something as recent as possible? Or am I just over-thinking the whole bloody thing?
    Thanks to you.
    Peter

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 27, 2014

3. kidamazo Jul 29, 2014

Thanks. Are these models fairly robust?

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 29, 2014

"Robust" ?

Strictly speaking, yes. (Ask NASA)

waterproof?

Officially yes, but in practice not really

5. kidamazo Jul 29, 2014

Yes, right, but what I mean to ask is why model over others for a newbie like myself? And thanks!

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 29, 2014

Not much water on the way to the moon.:cool:

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 29, 2014

But once back....

[​IMG]

Varasc, persco, DanOmega and 8 others like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 29, 2014

9. ctime3 Jul 29, 2014

My vote 3570.50 I love mine.

10. Ferik Jul 30, 2014

How about a 1973 Speedmaster Mk3 in perfect shape? Pretty rare piece

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 1, 2014

I suppose any used Speedy has a remaining serviceable life directly related to the amount of wear it has seen in its lifetime.
    Let's assume you plan on being wise enough to have your new-to-you Speedmaster serviced by a competent watchmaker before you begin to wear it. Then I think the best example has less to do with its year of manufacture and more to do with its use over its prior lifetime. In other words, a freshly serviced Speedy made in 1988 and worn every day will not be as "good" as a freshly serviced Speedy made in 1973 and forgotten in a drawer for 40 years.
    I do not think there were any changes to the movement itself since the change to a Delrin brake? A watchmaker will have better advice in that regard.
    Good luck with your search! Through all my interests in this and other brands of watches, the Speedmaster is the one I feel should always be in my collection. It's that awesome!

Spacefruit likes this.