Forums Latest Members
  1. eustace Nov 7, 2014

Hi, I have a Cal. 291 calendar watch. I tracked down the ref number 21301 to page 405.

As you can see from the picture below, the case design is identical. The hands, I recognize as replacements.

However, the dial is completely different. Does this mean it was a replacement dial?

Thanks,
    eustace
    291.jpg

Old and Vintage likes this.
  2. ezlau Nov 7, 2014

Also notice the missing 'Swiss' at the bottom of the dial. Other members with more knowledge can chime in.

3. eustace Nov 7, 2014

Sorry, bad angle. Mine actually does say Swiss on the bottom.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2014

Most vintage watches came with several dial and hand choices for each style. This one is no exception. The fonts on the subdials and brand name seem to be identical. I can barely see the refection of the word "Swiss" on Eustace's watch, but I do believe it's there.

Looks original to me.
    gatorcpa

5. eustace Nov 7, 2014

Thanks gatorcpa. Now I just need to find some replacement hands...

6. Waynepjr Nov 13, 2014

I purchased a UG from a gentleman who bought straight from Henri Stern in New York before going off to WW2. He shared with me his experience, very neat. To the point, they could order you the dial of your choice for your ref. watch but you had to of course wait for it to come in and there was no telling during the war when that might happen. But each watch had a choice of dials, usually specific to a task, just like many other manufacturers of the day.

Wayne

88cut likes this.
  7. 88cut Nov 13, 2014

That's great information Wayne!

8. Waynepjr Nov 13, 2014

Great to talk to one that was there back in the day. The funny part was he was an officer and they only wanted to show he Patek's. It was only when he went for the door that the salesman relented and took him to the UG's. He knew what he wanted.

9. 88cut Nov 13, 2014

Wow, do you have a photo of the watch?

10. Waynepjr Nov 13, 2014

Here you go. Now lives in Hong Kong with member Timjohn.
    Very short story, watch was combat worn by P51 fighter pilot in the Pacific and Korea. And both survived! All original but the crown.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Old and Vintage and WatchFred like this.
  11. Vanquish1551 Nov 15, 2014

great story. I'm curious about the discoloration of the gold on the Waynepjr's watch (especially on the lugs)

12. Waynepjr Nov 15, 2014

That is easy.... Brassing from wear over the years. A candidate for replating but in my mind it would take from the history of the piece so it was left untouched. I am sure the new owner has left it alone as well.

Wayne