Forums Latest Members
  1. arr.4mkts Jan 26, 2015

I recently took my vintage OMEGA to an official OMEGA store and their horloger provided me with very useful information: caliber 265, produced in 1950, 38 mm, serial number 12 002 xxx and movement in excellent condition.

One question they could not answer is on the dial why it says "swiss" instead of "swiss made". See the picture below.

I have read that at some point OMEGA and other watch companies used to only label it "swiss" but it seems by 1950 they were already labeling them "swiss made". I do not know if the dial is in great condition or if it was restored--the watch was given to me as a gift. But any information or leads you would have on it would be extremely appreciated. IMG_3201.JPG

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 26, 2015

I believe your dial was restored. That is likely the reason for this marking.

3. datniche27 Jan 26, 2015

Omega couldn't recognize this dial was redone? It was redone. It looks like a nice watch though. But that would explain the text.

4. arr.4mkts Jan 27, 2015

thanks datniche27. Im new to vintage watches, does "redone" mean restored from its original condition or...?

5. arr.4mkts Jan 27, 2015

thanks datniche27. Im new to vintage watches, does "redone" mean restored from its original condition or...?

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 27, 2015

Repainted and not original, you enjoy it which is all that matters but unfortunately it does devalue it in the eye of a collector.

7. datniche27 Jan 27, 2015

Yes, it means restored or repainted. It is not "fake" though when people say not original. It is still the real original Omega dial. But it has been fully refinished. As in stripped down, and repainted. It does devalue it for collectors but you can still enjoy the watch.

8. arr.4mkts Jan 28, 2015

Thank you datniche27, very useful information. Would you know more or less the resell value?