Forums Latest Members
  1. Corsachili Sep 2, 2014

Greetings all,

I'm a newbie to the forum but am a long time Omega fan. My first mechanical watch was a Speedmaster which I bought new in 1993 and which I still own and wear frequently. In addition to the Speedie, I also own a Carrera Panamericana Re-Edition TAG Heuer, a Rolex GMT II, a Chopard Mille Miglia, and a Hamilton Khaki Field Engineer.

I have a question regarding this watch which I purchased from a dealer last spring. Does anyone know what model is and what year it may have been produced? I know nothing about it except that it's rose gold, and that I like it very much. A friend who knows much more about watches than I do thought it might have a bumper winding mechanism but again I have no way of knowing.

I appreciate any help or guidance you can offer regarding this Omega.

Ciao!
    -tj in los gatos

I IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 2, 2014

Can you pop off the caseback because I am really leary about strange dials that say antimagnetic.

I am not the most knowledgeable here but I feel it is a fake/frankenstein combo.

Don't throw it away until others join in.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 2, 2014

This one smells a bit, friend - day-old fish or worse. I'll be surprised to learn this one is not a fake.

4. Mothra Sep 3, 2014

We need a photo of the movement, but right now my money would also be on fake.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 3, 2014

Yes, I agree it's suspect. Dial looks like those on Cortebert railway watches.

Hexicon likes this.
  6. rolexfantastic Sep 3, 2014

I believe this may have only the dial swapped.
    The case however seems Omega (14/18K gold with pierced lugs) and the movement inside should be a 30T2, from the 40's.

7. Corsachili Sep 3, 2014

Here you go....does this help?

Ciao!
    -tj in los gatos

IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4297.jpg

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Looks like you might be right.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 3, 2014

I was surprised to see the 268, a descendant of the 30T2 but from the 50's not the 40's.
    Can anybody make out and date the caseback nomenclature?

Perhaps a 40's case, unclear caseback with a replacement 50's movement and a dial from parts unknown?

I think the original failed and an attractive(?) franken watch was assembled from interchangeable parts.

Seems to have legitimate gold content and parts value to my Sophomoric eyes.
    Interesting dial but worthless?

10. Corsachili Sep 3, 2014

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 3, 2014

Well, we thought it was an assembled watch, just not a mass produced watch!

If we are sure this is not a borrowed photo of your watch(strap is different) and some scam, then there is no explanation in my mind except fake.

So, Franken, scam or fake.......... or more likely, all of the above.

You can probably throw it away now.

12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 3, 2014

Are you the owner of the Jackmond site? Very strange how your watch and the one there have the same serial number.....maybe they were the dealer you bought it from?

There are a few easy ways to see your watch is not a bumper, firstly there is no automatic on the dial, there will be no bump when you shake it and you need to wind it up for it to run.

13. Corsachili Sep 3, 2014

Wow, Uncle Buck you really know how to welcome a newcomer. What makes you say it's a fake? Your tone since the beginning has negative, as if just because it's not some rare, limited edition model, that it's worthless. Throw it away? You seem to be one of those people that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. You obviously have some tenure here and perhaps have some amount of knowledge, but you come across as a rude, condescending jerk. I've been on numerous internet forums dedicated to many different topics and hobbies and I've come across your type before. You have some expertise but lack real understanding. You're of average intelligence but like to try to prove otherwise. You fancy yourself the life of the party but you're socially awkward.

Perhaps I should throw you and your opinions away. Even if they were rooted in any sort of fact, which you've yet to prove, you're just a blowhard.

TJ

14. Corsachili Sep 3, 2014

I'm not the owner of the Jackmond site, and it's not the same watch.

Thank you for the information on the winding mechanism. It's definitely not an automatic.

TJ

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 3, 2014

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts.....
    I had no intention to be rude or condescending and my apologies if I have come across as such.

i20rider, dtt, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  16. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 3, 2014

Wow, best means of defence is to go on the attack eh?

It's fair enough to say that YOU perceived UBs comments to be rude, but to then launch into wild speculation and insult about UBs intelligence and social skills when you have never met the guy is really stretching even the delightfully robust tradition of conversation on this forum.

As he has apologised in true Gentlemanly fashion, so I feel should you.

You may be able to appreciate UBs scepticism as the watch in your pictures has exactly the same serial number as the watch you linked to and Omega didn't duplicate serial numbers. This is very curious as you offered that as an example, seemingly, of there being more than one of these dials. I feel the watch is probably a Franken, certainly the dial raises issues as Omega tended to promote its earlier handwinds as 'Non-Magnetic' and to my knowledge never printed 'Antimagnetic' around the sub seconds dial. In the 30mm calibres I can't think of a gold dress version that ever had that printing on the dial.

So the throwaway line about throwing it away was general code on this forum for melt and parts value only. If it goes one can wear it but it would take a lot of research and confirmation to claim that it was more than Omega-erish.

Cheers

Desmond

citizenrich, dtt, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2014

Same serial number = same watch, as mentioned above Omega doesn't re-use serial numbers

18. Hijak Sep 3, 2014

Wow, I've been on this forum long enough to know that Buck is a stand up guy. You better reel it in a little, you're way out of line here and I second the apology you owe Uncle Buck! Your behavior makes you seem guilty of some sort of skulduggery!:cautious:

i20rider, citizenrich and Nitzbar like this.
  19. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 4, 2014

Hi,
    Wow, you know how to be welcome.
    True words are often not nice, nice words are often not true...

Never seen a watch with this dial. Never seen a real Omega with antimagnetic written like this. There is absolutely no possibility that an original watch has a 10 million serial case and a 17 million serial caliber, so if original they were not produced to be assembled together. Case and caliber may look original but they have been assembled later, and I give the dial no chance to be authentic. In terms of collection, it has no value, except, as indicated by Uncle Buck as spare parts (or for the case gold value which may be higher than the gold case spare value). Your insults won't change anything on that it's a fact.

As mentioned above, there can't be two authentic watches with the same serial, but fakes do sometimes, so if it's not the same watch as you claim (but with all due respect you're probably totally wrong and you know it), that's a very bad signal. But what are the chances that two different watches share stains at the same place on the dial (there was a cleaning before the Jackmond's pictures but some stains remain), share the same serial numbers, and have the ratchet regulator positioned exactly at the same place (BTW seeing its position I would recommend a good cleaning before you -oups, sorry, the seller Jackmond - sell it, especially at this price)? For me, none. If you're the seller and you claim you're not and that they are different watches, it's misrepresentation.

Now that's obviously not what you want to hear but I find your reaction the obvious sign of a narrow minded arrogant [BIIIIIIIIIP - sorry I found no word that fits my standards of exession]. It certainly gives you no ground for expressing such definitive judgements on UncleBuck. I must say that I admire your medium skills that allow you to give such definitive judgements on someone's intelligence after reading a couple of lines (<- that's a joke). I admire UncleBuck's reaction of apologies (<-that's not a joke).

20. Mothra Sep 4, 2014

Without any further comment, Buck has represented himself extremely well.

NT931, Nitzbar and MikiJ like this.