Forums Latest Members

Help me buy my first Speedy! Looking for 145.012 or 105.012

1. knizo Oct 31, 2014

Hi guys!

I have never owned a mechanical watch before in my life, and having recently gotten a great job I would like to celebrate with a Speedy 145.012 or 105.012. I love the history behind the watch and it's looks, and only really want one of the two references that first took the trip to the moon.

I am after a good condition dial, and don't mind a newer bezel being put on it. I would also really like the luminescent stripes to look reasonably solid in color and uneroded.

My budget is approximately 3000GBP which is USD 4800. I have found several specimens on chrono24, my favorite of which is this one:

https://www.chrono24.com/en/dealer/...yId=USD&priceTo=0&sortorder=1&resultview=null

What are your thoughts on this watch please? Are there any other places where it would be worth looking? Any watches you are aware of that fit my requirements? The only speedmaster in the eBay reccomendation thread was not in good condition.

Thank you for your help and advice!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

That's a very poor example, I wouldn't buy it at half that price, almost everything has been replaced on it.

sarir97 likes this.
  3. knizo Oct 31, 2014

I was worried this might be the case! Good thing I asked. When you say everything, what do you mean? I know the bezel has been replaced but they are including the original. I'm not sure how to tell if the hands and dial are original. Extremely Noob here!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

The lume plots on the dial are too short, they don't go through the minute track like a 145.012 should

5. knizo Oct 31, 2014

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

You're better of starting with the FS forums here, Chrono24 dealers are going to charge more for a lesser watch in general.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 31, 2014

Honestly, stay away from Chrono 24 at this stage of your buying. It might have some good deals but they are extremely well hidden. I have never bought anything through it, though I have bought at least one watch that was advertised on it (I later discovered) for about 20% more than I paid.
    read this
    www.speedmaster101.com
    then I recommend buying from the FS section here.
    I also recommend the more valuable 105.012 because I like them better.

sarir97 and JohnSteed like this.
  8. knizo Oct 31, 2014

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 31, 2014

This is not a watch I would want -
    The dial plots look "blobby" leading to questions regarding the originality of the lume, but more importantly do not look nice to me.
    The bezel is not as I would want to see on this vintage.
    The case is either dirty, or has some problems.
    The service is by a watchmaker I do not recognize - someone here might.
    At $4200 equivalent he price asked is higher than most other watches of this reference I have seen recently, although I realize mainland Europe prices tend to be higher than USA. I class this watch as "running" - and reduce the price for incorrect bezel, damaged hands, plots and case.

This reference did not come with a 1171 bracelet orignaly. It was a 1039 although may be others as well, but the 1171 did not come in until around 1970+.

The seller has only 3 posts here on the Forum, so I assume he has some personal contact with the moderators in order to bypass the minimum requirements for sales posting - so in that respect he must be better than average to pass a personal vetting by the Mods with so few posts.

The photos are very poor for a sales ad.
    There are no movement shots, or caseback inside.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. TNTwatch Oct 31, 2014

2936920c.jpg
  11. TNTwatch Oct 31, 2014

I think the ad was posted before the new rules was put in place. Incidentally, this watch was bought from the same dealer of the OP's watch before posted here.

12. Davidt Oct 31, 2014

As others have said, if you're relatively inexperienced, stay away from Chrono24. A large number of offerings have numerous replacement parts and the prices tend to be on the high side.

If you're a beginner (I can say this as I was around a year ago), bide your time and do some research (speedmaster 101 is a great place to start). Otherwise, in your eagerness to buy one, you'll likely buy a dog, love it for a while, then slowly realise what's wrong with it and regret such a hasty purchase.

Be patient. One will turn up and the FS forum here is a great place for your first.

JohnSteed likes this.
  13. JohnSteed Oct 31, 2014

Patience, ole padewon, Patience.

You'll be be really happy next year that you did some reading, took time to learn what to search for and followed the advice above. All the advice ...

Welcome to OF!!!

Tritium and Spacefruit like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

Yeap, that was pre-embargo so to speak its just an old listing

15. knizo Nov 1, 2014

Wow thank you for your help guys! I'm glad I posted, my situation was basically exactly like Davidt described- I am really eager to get a watch and I was about to buy one off chrono24 that in hindsight would have been a bit of a gamble, given my lack of knowledge.

I'm not in any particular hurry, but I think Christmas would be a good goal for finding one? There are less watches on the FS section here than on chrono24 but as you guys pointed out prices on chrono appear to be higher and the quality lower, and the photos are crap.

I don't actually mind paying a premium as they do seem to have more watches than user forums, but not for a crap watch! Reading through speedy 101 now, hopefully I will learn to tell the difference in time :)

Thanks again!

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2014

Mate I have to tell you as eager as you are, you need to be patient or you're going to be deeply disappointed in the end. Most people buy one and end up buying more anyway and regret the haste with which they chose the first. Take your time and you'll do very well, rush it and you'll pay more for a dud.

sarir97 and Hijak like this.
  17. Hijak Nov 1, 2014

Sage advice that should be taken to heart.:thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  18. sarir97 Nov 2, 2014

A few years ago I was exactly in your shoes, rushed and purchased a 105.012 that wasn't quite perfect. I was never satisfied with the purchase, and it took me a few years to find the perfect example.

You have a healthy budget. I too suggest taking your time and save up perhaps a little more. Eventually, something like this will come along:

[​IMG]

TNTwatch, TLIGuy and Gavin like this.
  19. knizo Nov 4, 2014

Wow! That is amazing! Okay having read the speedy 101 guide I think I know a few basics about how to spot incorrect parts. My plan from here is to lurk the FS forums on this website and keep an eye on ebay.

Thanks again for all your help guys! I will post again when I think I have found a winner :)

20. bill5959 Nov 4, 2014

One thing you can do, if you have access to an Omega boutique, is go in and take control of their Moonwatch only book. It will show you a lot of
    differences and, if you are like me, the paper is really good to turn. Another great source to learn from. Happy Hunting, Bill