Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Been lurking for a bit, and I like the vibe...reminiscent of my favorite dark corners of the internet, frequented by few but die-hard enthusiasts of the matter at hand. I know a few of you and believe I have not offended you badly enough to be greeted with tar and feathers. I'm not much of an Omega fan, but I love what I have a lot, I do dig vintage watches and am always looking to learn more and participate how I can.

So what have I got in the vintage Omega department? Just two

A ref 2347-7 double branded by the jeweler Asprey, complete with box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Seamaster 300 165.014. The previous owner fiddled with the hands, but I like 'em the way they are, so the originals will stay in the jar for the moment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and that's it.

Looking forward to the fun and games and to learning a thing or three!

Dash1, alam and cicindela like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Love the SM300!

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Well you have 2 nice looking pieces - the SM 300 looks very nice. Would you be kind enough to confirm that the bezel was redone by Aldo in Italy (he does a very nice job).?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Welcome Lou, nice to have you here! Fine piece, I'm sure plenty off folks here would be proud to own them :thumbsup:

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Yes, indeed, that's right. It was done just before the watch came into my possession. I understand that very few of these bezels survive the years intact.

Are there tells that indicate it has been redone, or was it the general condition that provoked your question?

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Nice watches Lou! Show some of your Zeniths! :)

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Yes - the zeroes have a squarish quality that the originals did not have. Also, in some of the original bezels there are signs of aging in the numbers that is impossible to replicate - it is not a general fade but almost like a slow dissolving of the white color. Finally in high resolution pictures there are the requisite small scratches and dings on the bezel surface.

And yes very few of these bezels survive intact that is why there is a premium to be placed on them.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

very clear, very interesting. Thank you.

now that is a provocation, Kyle. I wasn't going to bring up the Zeniths since this is an Omega forum, but let's consider the Zeniths that remind me a bit of some of the Omegas that I like.

The Captain line was Zenith's answer to Constellations (and Conquests). Like Connies, it ran the gamut from steel..
    [​IMG]

...to opulent gold. This case, odd to the eye at first glance, works unexpectedly well on the wrist.
    [​IMG]

And here is an example of a Sporto, which started out as a sort of active 'everyman's' watch for the brand - reminds me of the Omega Suverans and Officers sold in Scandinavia
    [​IMG]

the S.58 was Zenith's first dive watch, comparable with the Seamaster 300
    [​IMG]

Most of Zenith's three hand watches do not have names. Here's a personal favorite that does dress watch duty routinely
    [​IMG]

And Zenith's giant-slaying Cal 135, heavy hitter in the 30mm chronometer competitions in the early 1950s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Kyle, this one is for you, because I know of your perverse attraction to moldy dials: a Zenith-branded Compax
    [​IMG]

And then there are the Primeros, but I'd prefer to talk Omega.

alam likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Oh no, continue with the EPs lol

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2012

Hi LouS

Welcome to the forum. I know you are a Zenith guy.

See you in Zenith thread with the 135's :D

[​IMG]

11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2012

Opps, forgot to show off my Captains

[​IMG]

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Lou this is not an Omega forum.....OK, well maybe it is :D but, we include all great watches here, especially Zenith.

13. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Yeah...I do like that moldy one. :p

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

I'll take this one please ::love::::love::::love::

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 23, 2012

Love the zeniths. Truly gorgeous.

The SM300, the dial has a closed 6 and 9. I had been taught that that was an indication of a fake?

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

The dial style is correct for the straight lug seamasters. Looking closely at the pictures though that's not what bothers me but the printing looks a bit thicker than it should (and a bit too white). Wondering also if the dial is a repaint (apologies to the OP - just an observation that I've made looking more closely at the watch pictures.

17. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2012

Hey Lou, what's shakin'?

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

No apologies necessary - it is what it is. At the time that I bought it, I had decided the dial was authentic based on the history of the model by Bill Sohne on Chronomaddox, but I freely admit I did not pay attention to the issue that you raise. I am certainly not expert enough t form a judgement about the print thickness on my own. I will say that in my photo above the dial is a hair out of focus which may influence your perception of the printing. I will fish out the macro lens to try to take a better one.

Not a lot, Dennis. Finished my Primero collection, and things are slow with the Zeniths. Plus the fact that the modern pieces have finally become palatable have brought a lot of new blood into the Zenith forum - no bad thing, but it's diluted the vintage content which I live for. So I remembered this place, and here I be.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

The formal adoption papers are being drawn up. Once you sign and post pictures of 24 vintage watches, you're all set.

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Yes thought about the focus too and that would certainly do it especially since the style of the fonts is spot on. Would certainly be interested to see a macro pictures when you get the chance.